Author Topic: Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
I was reading today that diabetics can take 4-5 fig leaves and boil them in water  strain and consume the tea warm. You can also dry the leaves and make a powder. Mix the powder with water and drink.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:38:34 PM by Swamplife »
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
I did not know that you had to eat the leaves.  I just heard that you could make a tea of sorts with leaves and that would help. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Swamplife

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
I guess if you boil them and drink it there would be no harm in making a powder from the leaves and mixing it as a drink. Let me try it on the wife first to see how it works ;-)
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
I know someone that does use the leaves like a tea.  I never asked if the leaves were consumed though.  I am not diabetic so nothing for me to try, just curious how that tea tastes like though
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Kevin912

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
I used to make a "special tea" with mushrooms It cured boredom lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:43:08 PM by Kevin912 »

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
Kevin912,

Yes, I have friends that do/did that special tea also.  I have never drank any cause the company that I work for does a random drug test every other month.  I canít afford to fail that test. 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Swamplife

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny that I pick mushrooms in cow pastures in the early '70s.

Offline opiem10

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
I guess if you boil them and drink it there would be no harm in making a powder from the leaves and mixing it as a drink. Let me try it on the wife first to see how it works ;-)
I am a well controlled diabetic but would be more than willing try fig leaf tea if it enables me to control serum glucose and HbA1C even better.   Now isn't it true that leaves from the most sought after figs make the best tea?   JD, what do you think???   Hint, hint.  LOL.

And if the tea doesn't kill me, the overindulgence in the finest, sweetest, and most delectable figs surely will. 

In all seriousness, can you use dry leaves or do they need to be fresh?   And is any variety better for this than others?
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
Opiem10,

From what I remember, she used to dry them and used like that.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
  • Bless others with FIGS!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »
Opiem10,

The tea is great tasting.  But try berberine as an herbal supplement for diabetes!  Some people can stop metformin (which originally came from French lilacs).

Ms Figgy
Wish list: White Madeira #1, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 02:49:29 AM »
Wow this is new to me.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
I haven't made tea from fig leaves, yet. But I have made tea from Loquat and Papaya leaves and soon from Roselle. If you've only drinken "regular" tea, you should know that teas made with leaves of other plants will not taste the same as those "regular" teas and it may take some time for you to get used to the taste.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »
Leaves can be used to make tea, but most valuable part of fig tree are its roots, they are used in Chinese medicine.
Wish list: Bordissot Negra Rimada

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
This fascinates me. But then, Iíve been drinking odd teas (yum, nettles) and tucking funny plants into the backyard pharmacy for a long time. Iíve not heard of fig leaves and roots as medicine. Anybody out there know where to get more info?
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Letís see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Offline Bulldog

• Help each other. Life is short
    • b4ihurtu
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »
The tea made from the dried leaves smells and tastes like caramel.
Wishlist- Closed eye good tasting figs that produce well. Asian type persimmons. Jujube cuttings. Pear rescue or abbe fetel. Really good tomato varieties. Any oddball seeds!