Author Topic: Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?  (Read 750 times)

Online Swamplife

Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
I was reading today that diabetics can take 4-5 fig leaves and boil them in water  strain and consume the tea warm. You can also dry the leaves and make a powder. Mix the powder with water and drink.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:38:34 PM by Swamplife »
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, LSU Red

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Figs Leaves can be used to help Diabetics?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
I did not know that you had to eat the leaves.  I just heard that you could make a tea of sorts with leaves and that would help. 
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith, Dall Oso and Brooklyn White

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Swamplife

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
I guess if you boil them and drink it there would be no harm in making a powder from the leaves and mixing it as a drink. Let me try it on the wife first to see how it works ;-)
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, LSU Red

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
I know someone that does use the leaves like a tea.  I never asked if the leaves were consumed though.  I am not diabetic so nothing for me to try, just curious how that tea tastes like though
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith, Dall Oso and Brooklyn White

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Kevin912

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
I used to make a "special tea" with mushrooms It cured boredom lol
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:43:08 PM by Kevin912 »

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
Kevin912,

Yes, I have friends that do/did that special tea also.  I have never drank any cause the company that I work for does a random drug test every other month.  I cant afford to fail that test. 

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Swamplife

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny that I pick mushrooms in cow pastures in the early '70s.

Online opiem10

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
I guess if you boil them and drink it there would be no harm in making a powder from the leaves and mixing it as a drink. Let me try it on the wife first to see how it works ;-)
I am a well controlled diabetic but would be more than willing try fig leaf tea if it enables me to control serum glucose and HbA1C even better.   Now isn't it true that leaves from the most sought after figs make the best tea?   JD, what do you think???   Hint, hint.  LOL.

And if the tea doesn't kill me, the overindulgence in the finest, sweetest, and most delectable figs surely will. 

In all seriousness, can you use dry leaves or do they need to be fresh?   And is any variety better for this than others?
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Black Bethlehem, Brooklyn White, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
Opiem10,

From what I remember, she used to dry them and used like that.

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Ms Figgy

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »
Opiem10,

The tea is great tasting.  But try berberine as an herbal supplement for diabetes!  Some people can stop metformin (which originally came from French lilacs).

Ms Figgy

Online Atlantafig

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 02:49:29 AM »
Wow this is new to me.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, Golden Riverside / Golden Rainbow, Honey Fig, CCD Blanc, CCD Noir, CCD Rimada, Black Madeira, White Madeira, Raspberry Latte, Lebanese Red, Red Lebanese, Gota Del Mel, Louisiana Lightening Fig, Louisiana Green Honey, All LSU Varieties.