Author Topic: warning warning warning !!  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Kevin912

Re: warning warning warning !!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
I would have to consider myself a fig Enthusiast that wants to have a nice well-rounded collection of great-tasting fig from around the world. It's like starting off collecting baseball cards I acquired a few Commons but then I saw there was a whole world of figs out there and wanted some of the more so-called rare varieties. I love a challenge and I would like to see if I could get them to produce delicious Bountiful figs in my area that are comprable to their native land. Also I've learned that depending on the weather certain so-called great fig may only be mediocre some years and a more common variety might be Stellar year after year. I've always been the kind of person that trusts but verifies. So one person's review on the tace of a certain fig is just a starting point I definitely have to see for myself. As of right now I have 29 varieties and the reason I went so crazy my first year was because I got a late start and next year I want to taste as many varieties as possible from my own little mini Orchard.

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »
Besides the probability that I may have obsessive Compulsive Disorder, there is wisdom in my tactic of having many different varieties of fruit trees.  I find that different varieties of a fruit tree will produce differently in the same growing conditions.  What is poor this year, may be Fantastic next year.  For example, Golden Celeste and Chico Strawberry may do great this year, while Figo Preto and Olympian may taste like crap.  Next year it could be the opposite.  Next year the growing conditions may be vastly different.  Only by diversifying your holdings can you be almost sure of having at least a few successes each year.

Besides, the more the merrier. 
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
We want to thank everyone for their postings here.

But this trend has gotten off topic.

We are trying to inform members here about new discoveries and unconfirm figs coming out of California that are probably not a common fig.

Also with sellers advertising fig varieties that they have not yet produced figs off their own in their growing areas and conditions and using other people's photos to make their sales to mislead people.

The Fig Mafia are selling photos and not fig varieties of their own experiences. They are enticing buyers with their photos and labret descriptions of That variety not yet having grown it or tasting any but they are trying to Hype up and sell you for their big profits.

The other fact you need to be aware of That 90% of the u.s. does not have the Fig wasp therefore anything that needs pollination is of no value or will Not produce fruit for you here in the US.

And the last fact is figs perform and grow differently and different growing zones and conditions will not perform and taste the same these are the facts.

So on these Newfound figs it will take 3 to 4 years typically to get an evaluation of on these just like our fig breeding program.

So this is why you see a newfound fig they don't know whether it is a common variety or not because they just discovered it so let's sell it and make some money

We are just wanting to make members aware of this and you could be wasting your hard-earned money and taking a Gamble on these fig varieties.

Offline cornbread

• Welcome !!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
Thanks for the information.
WL:  LSU Tiger or other LSU, Yellow Long Neck, RdB, VdB, Smith, A CdD variety, a persistent caprifig

Offline Ms Figgy

• Great blessings come to those who bless others.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »
Just ask about the sellers on Ebay and Our Figs etc.... Ebay now has a lot of scammers because the good guys left!  Facebook has good and bad people so watch out!  Just ask by PM .... i have fig friends also and know the some good sellers!  But start here and see if you canít get your figs at the best rate with friends to help you!

All the best,

Ms Figgy
Wish list: LSU Red, White Madeira #1, Black Ischia, Izbat an Naj, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A, Nordland

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 06:35:50 PM »
Just ask about the sellers on Ebay and Our Figs etc.... Ebay now has a lot of scammers because the good guys left!  Facebook has good and bad people so watch out!  Just ask by PM .... i have fig friends also and know the some good sellers!  But start here and see if you canít get your figs at the best rate with friends to help you!

All the best,

Ms Figgy
I agree with everything you said.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline susanrandolphark

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »
I started studying fig 5.5 years ago. Most fig groups were really intimidating. I lurked a lot trying to gather information on how to root cutting and even which fig would be common.
I made a lot of mistakes but found enough kind people that shared information that I was able to start a 10 year fig trial to determine what figs will survive and produce in Arkansas. 40 figs propagated and planted 2015 and 40 in 2016.
 67 fig trees survived this last spring and 4 new ones added.
Fig people take cuttings in the orchard and we share stories.
I will be publishing a 5 year report next year and a final report at 10 years.
The biggest difficulty has been visitors eating the figs before I can document the flavor of one. The orchard is increasing local interest in figs which I consider a positive.
LSU Thibodeau LSU dead cat any strawberry fig,  Golden Rainbow, Any LSU fig other than purple and Champagne are on my wish list.

Offline Ms Figgy

• Great blessings come to those who bless others.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »
Great topic!  Wonderful responses!  I will have a report from Northern Mississippi sometime in the future also!  There are many great things to learn and sharing knowledge is the greatest part of this forum!

Ms Figgy
Wish list: LSU Red, White Madeira #1, Black Ischia, Izbat an Naj, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A, Nordland

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 05:13:09 AM »
The biggest difficulty has been visitors eating the figs before I can document the flavor of one. The orchard is increasing local interest in figs which I consider a positive.

Are you sharing the figs when you have guests or are people sneaking into your orchard to get them?
WL: heirloom varieties, Astoria Green, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Cendrosa, Ciliegia Dolce, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Socorro Black, White Maderia #1

Online AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
Thank you JD for this information. Thank you for looking out for us. I pray the Lord will continue to look out for you also. Give and it shall be given unto you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:38:45 PM by AtlantaFig »
Wishlist: LSU Red (SFF), Socorro Black, I-258, BB10, CCD Blanc, CCD Noir, CCD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf. Raspberry Latte, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Red Lebanese, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening Fig, Buzzone Nero, LSU Varieties. Giant Brown Turkey Fig.

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 11:58:04 PM »
Who would have thought all this kind of thing is going on behind such a fun hobby. I' m a newbie to fig growing and it all started  with my desire to pick then eat this delicious fruit from a tree that I planted. What could be better than that.. That started my research and lurking about fig forums to find out about fig growing. I was amazed at the varieties available , being drawn in by the pictures and descriptions of various varieties.Now I read that there are people selling and describing figs that they have never tasted! Perhaps I should count myself lucky that I am relatively new to all this that I have not bought into the high price of some varieties (although I have been tempted many times because of the hype about their rarity etc ) and besides I cannot justify buying all those "brown sticks " that I may never actually grow into beautiful fruiting trees , although I am going to give it my best shot since I have all the information to do this right at my finger tips.
Now having said that , I will go on being a fig enthusiast , but with caution.
WL : Anything really but these would be nice - any LSU , Figo Preto , CCraving , MIB , Adriatic JH , Thermolito , CDDAnything , Bourjasotte Noir, Raspberry Latte , Golden Riverside , Buzzone Nero, Edith's Raspberry Jam , CLBC

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 06:07:17 AM »
I started studying fig 5.5 years ago. Most fig groups were really intimidating. I lurked a lot trying to gather information on how to root cutting and even which fig would be common.
I made a lot of mistakes but found enough kind people that shared information that I was able to start a 10 year fig trial to determine what figs will survive and produce in Arkansas. 40 figs propagated and planted 2015 and 40 in 2016.
 67 fig trees survived this last spring and 4 new ones added.
Fig people take cuttings in the orchard and we share stories.
I will be publishing a 5 year report next year and a final report at 10 years.

Wish you were closer, would make for a great field trip.  Even better to stop by a few times a year to watch the progress.
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Black Jack, Qudssaya, BB10

Coastal Alabama

Offline Journey149

• Welcome !!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 05:30:05 PM »
I wished i had seen this subject earlier because someone broke all mine figs, i am really hurt.
Journey149

My wish list

Osborne, LSU Gold, Mission, ,  petite negri, Hunt,  Adam and Deanna, with some White Kadota, Parisienne and Ronde de Bordeaux, Nero, Ben's Golden Riverside,  Violet Sepor, CdDR,  CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, Malta Black, any LSU- Red

Online FigHearted

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 08:06:09 PM »
I wished i had seen this subject earlier because someone broke all mine figs, i am really hurt.

Ouch!!!  I'm so sorry!  They should regrow for you, but still, why do people have to do such mean things.  I just do not understand people some times.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline TXFIG

• Welcome !!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »
Thanks for info
Black Madiera, CDDNoir, Smith, ItL 258, any LSU, Green Greek,Strawberry Verte, LSU Red, LSU Black, LSU Strawberry,  Markopoula, Socorro Black, White Madeira, Italian Black, Black Ischia, JD's Giant Brown Turkey any really !