Author Topic: Serenity Valley - Vol 1 Jujube  (Read 610 times)

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
Serenity Valley - Vol 1 Jujube
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
I've decided to share my yard to all of you gardeners.  Some of the plants you see may be common, others will be known only to very advanced gardeners. 

This is the first in a series of show and tell of some of the hundreds of varieties of trees and plants I've planted or discovered on my 20 acre property.  I like to call it Serenity Valley.  That's kind of misleading because I live in SW Florida - there aren't any hills.  I picked that name because I am truly at peace while I'm here working on it.  The bad parts of the past are out of mind. 

I purchased the property in 2013, so most of what I planted is just starting to produce fruit.  A lot of the plants are subtropical, but a lot can be grown far up North.  The layout of the property ranges from a pond, a most of the time running stream, swamp, desert, and half decent soil in some areas.  Believe me, there is no rich garden soil here.  Its mostly sugar sand.  When I bought the place there were only two fruiting plants on the property, A blueberry plant, and a Rough Lemon tree in the swampy area.  There are currently over 250 different varieties of fruits, nuts, and other edibles planted by me.

Today's plant is the Jujube Tree.  It is also known as the Chinese Date.  There are a number of cultivars.  This one is the Giant Thai.  This tree grows an apple like fruit about 1 1/2 inches in size.   Different varieties have different taste, this one is like a very sweet crisp apple.  It is a very hardy tree that grows in a wide variety of soils from the far north well into the south.    It will produce early, and is very productive.  The tree shown is only 3 years old and has started producing.  I have another that is 5 years old, and produced about a bushel of fruit.  For more info on this plant check this:  https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/50048/.  I have no connection to this site, and I like it for information.

Enjoy, Enjoy the great outdoors - Manny Gordon

Regards,   Jerry

Want - LSU Red extraordinaire Buzzone Nero, Ben's Golden Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR,  CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU-Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, etc.

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
Re: Serenity Valley - Vol 1 Jujube
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Picture 2
Want - LSU Red extraordinaire Buzzone Nero, Ben's Golden Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR,  CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU-Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, etc.

Offline Casey

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:48:06 PM »
That's a really impressive collection Jerry, and good information on the Jujube. It says it is hardy to zone 6a, which is about where I am, but do you know if it will actually produce fruit up here?
Casey
WL: Any short season cultivars?

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:17:58 PM »
Jujube.......all the reage right now!  How do they taste?  Looks like you have a nice set up GJR!!
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Smith, I-258, Panache

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:22:57 PM »
That's a really impressive collection Jerry, and good information on the Jujube. It says it is hardy to zone 6a, which is about where I am, but do you know if it will actually produce fruit up here?

I'd have to defer to locals in that area.  Supposedly this can take very low temperatures and still fruit.  Maybe someone will chime in here.  If not, and you have a county AG agent, give them a call.

I found this -https://garden.org/plants/group/jujubes/

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »
Jujube.......all the reage right now!  How do they taste?  Looks like you have a nice set up GJR!!

The ones I have are great like a sweet crisp apple.  I have tasted others that are grown by people in my fruit clubs that were pretty bland.  The other members said mine were the best they have tasted.  I have three trees in different spots.  Mine aren't fertilized, but the ones grown in damper spots do much better.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 12:35:34 AM »
GJRoberts,

Thank you for sharing.  Will be keeping an eye out for your posts
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith, Dall Oso and Brooklyn White

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Swamplife

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
thanks for the info and sharing your pictures. I will be waiting on the next post.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, LSU Red

Online figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
I grew some jujube's about twenty years ago or so on my old ranch in California. As I recall, they were spiny trees with lots of fruit that tasted very much like the famous candy. But wasps loved them so much they'd devour most of them before I had a chance. And even approaching the orchard would get a flurry of wasps chasing after me. Hundreds of angry wasps on a small circle of five trees. I sold the farm before I ever figured out how to manage these trees. But what a unique flavor! Loved the few I tried.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.