Author Topic: LSU fig history?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Yoyo27983

• New grower
LSU fig history?
« on: November 27, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
Is there a document, or website that gives the history of the LSU varieties? A new found friend has graciously helped expand my collection with a few of the LSUs and I want to know more about them.

GOT FIGS?
Looking for smith, yellow longneck.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Re: LSU fig history?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:05:46 AM »
Good question!  I would like to know more about the LSU varieties' history myself.  I looked online a few weeks ago but didn't find much other than the program was discontinued due to lack of funding or something like that. Some varieties were officially released and some weren't.  So how are they considered LSU varieties if they weren't "official"?  I vaguely remember reading something about Fig Day at LSU and people were invited to come. 

WL: heirloom varieties, Astoria Green, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Cendrosa, Ciliegia Dolce, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Socorro Black, White Maderia #1

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
When you say "LSU", you say South friendly figs.  I only have a couple right now, but I hope to collect a lot of them.  Red, Gold, Black, and ones that don't have a color in their name - Yum, Yum, Yum.  Got to get them!
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:50 AM »
To answer a few of your questions about the LSU breeding program. LSU had a annual fig day that you could come and taste fig varieties out of their Orchard at the Baton Rouge location.

Just because an LSU variety was never released officially by LSU doesn't mean other things floating around are not LSU varieties.

LSU through their breeding program with new seedlings and hybrids created several male trees that carry a very distinctive DNA mapping which is also considered to be LSU genetic marker.

You will find this marker in any fig tree that was associated with LSU and is in the Fig database registered to LSU. If you have other questions about it be LSU varieties please post them here.

Here's a link that tells a little bit of information.  https://modernfarmer.com/2014/12/fig-man-campus/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:14:48 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
THanks for the link.  It was interesting reading about Dr. O'Rourke.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline Yoyo27983

• New grower
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
When you say "LSU", you say South friendly figs.  I only have a couple right now, but I hope to collect a lot of them.  Red, Gold, Black, and ones that don't have a color in their name - Yum, Yum, Yum.  Got to get them!

OK so when you say "south friendly figs" do you mean
1. Does not do well in colder climates?
2. Figs tend to split from the humidity?
3 ?
GOT FIGS?
Looking for smith, yellow longneck.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 05:04:34 PM »
To me "South friendly" means:

1. Closed eye so no insects can enter
2. No splitting when it rains (potentially daily)
3. Can handle high heat and humidity
4.  Would be nice if resistant to rust
WL: heirloom varieties, Astoria Green, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Cendrosa, Ciliegia Dolce, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Socorro Black, White Maderia #1

Offline timgoodin

• Beautiful day to plant a fig tree!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
Good read about the history, wish I had been as interested in figs in 2000-2002.  I spent 3 summers on the LSU Baton Rouge campus, coming back to visit one of these days.  Nice area!
WL: Smith, Strawberry verte