Author Topic: The real mosaic fig and Southernfigsforum breeding program.  (Read 1087 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
The real mosaic fig and Southernfigsforum breeding program.
« on: November 30, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
As we come to a close of the 2019 breeding program year I sit in wonder admiring this Pink striping fig.

This is the Mosaic fig that is thought to be be variety that spawned The Panache and all striping figs.

This is The Real McCoy one of the ones we had imported in for our breeding program. There's a hybrid that spun off this they call the clown here in the US but I've heard anyone that has  purchase this variety has brought nothing but failure and death with anyone that has purchase this.

This is just a spectacular sight to see these nice pink striping figs and ones that we're hoping to pollinate.

This variety also has outstanding foliage with it's painted on white splatters all over the leaves very unusual and very unique. So hopefully we'll have some vital seeds yet before the year's up and better yet maybe some germinated seedlings for the start of 2020.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: The real mosaic fig and Southernfigsforum breeding program.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
Here's some more photos of the foliage and very unique leaves.

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »
The foliage is definitely unusual.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Online Swamplife

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
I will take two, please. very different type of fig leaf shape.Colors are outstanding.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH

Online FigHearted

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »
Wow!  Sign me up!!

Love the leaves.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
Very beautiful plant.
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Panache

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
Thatís gorgeous. Thought the Jolly Tiger was the only with such leaf variation but nice to see in another. Like the others, if you ever plan on distributing for studies, sustainable in colder climates, please keep me in mind also!

Farah
WL: Yellow Panache, Jolly Tiger, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, Campaniere, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro

Offline cornbread

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
I wonder if the leaf varigation is a genetic heritable trait or a non heritable chimera?  It's a cool looking variety either way.
WL:  LSU Tiger or other LSU, Yellow Long Neck, RdB, VdB, Smith, A CdD variety, a persistent caprifig

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »
Steve here,

Yes we have hit these fig up in two way and males.

1. male celeste use in L.S.U breeding

2. Hit with the 100 proof  a mix that we had good workings in the pass that was put together in the Lab

so this will be a all winter thing to breed in the green house and just another baby sitting job
for us.

gone for life in the US.
a bigger fig while keeping the leaves in there state even the yellow ones

and last a taste like a red plum would be great

and last but not less to be the first to share a few new breeds to members on a forum and testing

all members and J.D and Me and Lab workers will be part of it all.

cool right

and there is many others all right growing all ready and soon to start putting out figs for all.

a lot of work has been gone in all this to share and to keep the southern breeding on top of the best new figs

Like I say if its made here and grows here and is a good eating fig then it will grow any where in the U.S..

The Southern Boys.
Sharing for food and enjoyment  that comes with members been friends with one and another and haven fun!!! .

Steve

Be Nice to each other and good to your figs and cuttings may come your way all for free. southernfigsforum.com

Offline Newbie2figs

• Love fruit trees!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »
Wow! what an awesome fig  to have ! So unique!
Mario
Zone 9a Tx
Wishlist:,CALDERONA,Azores dark,Black Tuscan, Thermilito,Mutante and crazy for stripped figs

Offline 6jollyrogers

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
What a beauty- I can't imagine all the hard work that went into it!

Offline azgrown

• Hello
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
Wow! Beautiful fruit and leaves too. please keep us posted!
Zone 9b Arizona
Wish List:  I-258, Figo preto, white Bronx, Martinenca Ramad, LSU RED.

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Great job Steve and JD.  Will be keeping an eye on updates
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Online FigHearted

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »

Like I say if its made here and grows here and is a good eating fig then it will grow any where in the U.S..

The Southern Boys.
Sharing for food and enjoyment  that comes with members been friends with one and another and haven fun!!! .

Steve

I would be more than willing to trial it here in the 117+ Fahrenheit, dry 12% humidity, 4.6" annual rain desert for you, no worries...

WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Very impressive. Although I am new to all that goes into growing figs, I get more excited each day. I have grown so many different types of fruit through the years, and only discovered figs last year.
wl: LSU Red, LSU Gold, Smith, Negronne, Violette de Bordeaux, J H Adriatic, Marseilles, Brown Turkey, Desert King, Cold hardy Figs

But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid