Author Topic: The real mosaic fig and Southernfigsforum breeding program.  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Tucson Rudy

• Newbie thanking all for your help & good info
    • blwdrhudy
Re: The real mosaic fig and Southernfigsforum breeding program.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
Hey JD,
My newbie brain gets the pink fig part. But in one photo of the small looking spade shaped leaves look more like bird dropping on my Rose bushes. I've looked at tons of photos of fig leaves and never seen anything close to these. I'm open to criticism and schooling, a little help here, please?
Am I on a snipe hunt?
Tucson Rudy
WL:(LSU) Red, Ronde de Bordeaux*, (LSU) Improved Celeste*, Florea ?(Michurinska-10), Pastiliere, Malta Black

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
Hey JD,
My newbie brain gets the pink fig part. But in one photo of the small looking spade shaped leaves look more like bird dropping on my Rose bushes. I've looked at tons of photos of fig leaves and never seen anything close to these. I'm open to criticism and schooling, a little help here, please?
Am I on a snipe hunt?
Tucson Rudy
I'm really missing the point to your question here you need to elaborate on what you're trying to say

Offline Tucson Rudy

• Newbie thanking all for your help & good info
    • blwdrhudy
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
It's just one of the 4 photos shows smallish looking spade shaped leaves that don't look like any fig leaves I've seen. Of course the ones I've seen have been online and a few in local nurseries and never in their early development. Sorry, but I thought maybe you were having a little fun and teasing with us a bit with that photo.
My bad, Tucson Rudy
WL:(LSU) Red, Ronde de Bordeaux*, (LSU) Improved Celeste*, Florea ?(Michurinska-10), Pastiliere, Malta Black

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 03:45:50 AM »
Steve here,

I love the yellow leaves in Fall it just so cool
see picture.

cool right. it's a dwarf tree

and I hope this breeding year we can make it better and seened some out to members for testing and enjoy
this fig tree also.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 03:49:47 AM by Administrator »
Be Nice to each other and good to your figs and cuttings may come your way all for free. southernfigsforum.com

Online Swamplife

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
Most amazing thing I have seen in the fig world so far
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
It's just one of the 4 photos shows smallish looking spade shaped leaves that don't look like any fig leaves I've seen. Of course the ones I've seen have been online and a few in local nurseries and never in their early development. Sorry, but I thought maybe you were having a little fun and teasing with us a bit with that photo.
My bad, Tucson Rudy

Sorry we miss this reply of yours. The reason that the ones you've seen online and even in a nursery or Not The Real McCoy.

We're not trying to tease anybody we're just informing you of what this plant is and what it is about.

We have been babysitting these since March and in three more months they've survived here in the US for 1 year when they are not supposed to. If we are lucky we might have some seeds that will be germinating this spring.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
Steve here,

I love the yellow leaves in Fall it just so cool
see picture.

cool right. it's a dwarf tree

and I hope this breeding year we can make it better and seened some out to members for testing and enjoy
this fig tree also.

Steve
Great job.  Tree colors look amazing
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
How is this variety coming along?

It's just got to be one of the most beautiful figs I've ever seen pictures of.  Just simply beautiful.

How did the figs taste?

WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline Figmebaby1moretime

• Introvert but willing to discuss figs
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 11:13:47 PM »
It almost looks like a citrus leaf
Wl: socorro black,CdD blanc, CdD rimada, Cavaliere, Red libya, violet sepor, Lsu red, black madeira, Smith, RGR, bass favorite
South Texas
Zone : 9b

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
It almost looks like a citrus leaf

Flip back to Reply #1 and look at those pictures.  If you just saw the leaves and did not see the figs on the plant, you could easily confuse it for the houseplant Devil's Ivy.

WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
To me, it looks like a cross between my Meyer Lemon and Ficus Aspera.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 06:49:06 AM »
Sure does, that's a beautiful looking plant, too.

I would really like to know how this baby is coming along.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 10:22:25 AM »
Both the plants that are alive and doing very well. The acclimating is coming along great and we have managed to pollinate a few figs and are trying to germinate the viable seeds now.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
JD,

Thank you for he update.  Wish you the best of luck with the seeds.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
That sounds awesome, good luck!
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach