Author Topic: How about non-fig cuttings?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Redfish_Matt

• Please sir, is it ok to have more cuttings?
How about non-fig cuttings?
« on: December 01, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
Is it OK to offer cuttings for free or trade that are non-fig?

I have some other trees that aren't fig, such as Meyer Lemon, various mulberry, and fuyu persimmon. Some of which are going to need a rootstock to graft onto.

I'm going to be trimming them soon and might as well offer them up if that's allowed.

Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: How about non-fig cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:11:59 PM »
Is it OK to offer cuttings for free or trade that are non-fig?

I have some other trees that aren't fig, such as Meyer Lemon, various mulberry, and fuyu persimmon. Some of which are going to need a rootstock to graft onto.

I'm going to be trimming them soon and might as well offer them up if that's allowed.

NO CITRUS too many federal laws and state state that do not allow citrus.

We will be putting a another category up for the backyard Gardener for all other varieties to be traded

Offline Redfish_Matt

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:24:46 PM »
Ok understood. I suppose the citrus laws are to prevent spreading pathogens.

Thanks!
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Online FigHearted

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:47:51 AM »
Do the mulberry and fuyu require grafting?  If they do and you don't, is it one of those long wait times for fruit?  I ask, as they have been on my wish list, too.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
I can't speak for Persimmon, but some Mulberries are very hard to root.  I have rooted some varieties by just sticking the cuttings in a pot without rooting hormone.  I also have started some by sticking the cuttings in water and changing it every day.
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
Persimmons are in general slow growers.  Donít get me wrong, I am not saying not to try cause itís better to try and have a possibility at succeeding then not to try and never succeed.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Online FigHearted

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 12:41:58 PM »
Maybe I should plan on getting an already rooted specimen of each rather than trying to root a cutting.

Just yesterday my Moro Orange cutting that I had in a heated humidity dome for about 3 weeks decided to drop both of its leaves.  It's not like the leaves were dying.  They looked perfectly healthy.  Just the stem and those 2 leaves.  Now it is just the stem.  No buds and I have never tugged on it to test.  I'm just going to leave it be and see if it decides to grow.  As the old expression goes, "It's not drinking water."  Well, in actuality, it really is, but I'll let it.  ;)

Those leaves were beautiful and super healthy looking.  I must have somehow accidentally broke them when I opened the lid for its daily breath.  That's the only thing I can think of for why they both jumped off the cutting on the same day. :(
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
Fighearted,

Sorry to hear that about your blood orange.  I tried to root some this summer.  A friend gave me a couple of cuttings, 6 to be specific.  I was about to get one to root.  I did not mess with mine till it got at least 2 new leaves.  If your stem is still green let it go and I wish you the best of luck.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Redfish_Matt

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »
My fuyu persimmons put on about 1 month of FAST growth and they they grind to a total halt and go into overkill fruit production.

You should see the Hachiya my neighbor has. It's a fairly large tree (about 12' tall) but you can reach most of the fruit. I bet it makes 300 pounds of fruit every OTHER year. This year was an off-year and it didnt' produce anything but this coming fall I'm sure it will look like it has orange balls for leaves.

Unfortunately goofy doesn't use them, he lets them fall to the ground and rot.
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
I love persimmons.  A house about 3 blocks from mine has 2 trees and they also let the majority of their persimmons fall to the ground.

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
Interestingly enough, had a similar conversation about persimmons in another topic (The Backyard Gardener) about which variety is cold hardy but seems fuyu is a favorite all around. Havenít gotten any plants yet.. winter is here (yes, GoT reference) so gives me time to research reputable nurseries/sources. Although from what I understood so far, small trees donít fruit so patience is a virtue?

Farah
WL: Yellow Panache, Jolly Tiger, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, Campaniere, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro

Online FigHearted

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 06:06:24 PM »
@LaFigGwr2019 The stem is still 100% green with no sign of black on it.  There might even be a bud forming above where one of the leaves was.  It's lighter in color but a bit hard for me to see with my old eyes.  I am not touching it.  Just going to let it be and see what happens.  Quite the waiting game.

In the same container, I have a mango seed growing.  It had sprouted about 1" with red stem and green tip, then it just stopped growing for 3 or 4 days.  I finally gave in and decided to look at it.  Picked up the seed (half on the surface) only to discover it was not attached to the growth!  That is why it stopped growing.  Somehow it had broken off.  I must have really done something without realizing it to that container.  The lemon and the mango are about 2" apart from one another.  I just stuck the stem back in and covered it.  Here we are a few days later, and it has once again grown and is sprouting a tiny little leaf!  I know, I know..... roots before shoots.  I'm not messing with it to see if it has any roots.  It just might have been working on forming them all those days when it was not growing.

Offline Redfish_Matt

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
Interestingly enough, had a similar conversation about persimmons in another topic (The Backyard Gardener) about which variety is cold hardy but seems fuyu is a favorite all around. Havenít gotten any plants yet.. winter is here (yes, GoT reference) so gives me time to research reputable nurseries/sources. Although from what I understood so far, small trees donít fruit so patience is a virtue?

Farah

My 3 trees were grafts and about 4' high when I got them. Two fruited the second summer, I'm guessing the other will fruit next summer
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Steve here,

Yes you can trade other cutting and fruit trees here on the forum

I mean I have Flytraps on the forum.

No Drugs or wives or kids  :o

Steve
Be Nice to each other and good to your figs and cuttings may come your way all for free. southernfigsforum.com

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 09:27:12 PM »
FogHearted,

I also have a mango seed growing.  I have a couple different experiments going that I want to do some playing around with.  I have 2 mango seeds, an avocado seed and about 5 pineapple tops growing. I am going to see what I can grow and get out of them.  I will be doing some grafting but I will first grow them bigger. 

South Louisiana, 9a