Author Topic: To fig or not to fig?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
To fig or not to fig?
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
I have been pondering why one person's fig collections become so large, like 2-300 varieties and counting... Is it just plain fun or do people simply like to collect things?
Or do people hope to make it a side business selling "rare" figs for ridiculous sums to the freshmen you tubers?

It's understandable that a researcher trying to develop new varieties would need a wide genetic base to work with.

I'm just curious--- what do you all think?
Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: To fig or not to fig?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
I can only tell you why I will have, give or take, a dozen.  I am not doing this for a side business.  I want to collect different varieties that do excellent in my area but all taste different.  To this day, I prefer the strawberry ones.  Will that change in the future, maybe cause I keep an open mind.  I want all different flavors of figs so not only to have variety but to also extend my harvest time.  That is why I started learning about figs.  In the beginning I thought there was only one kind and did not give it a thought, man was I wrong.  That is my 2 cents..

Hope that makes sense 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:51:38 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Swamplife

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
I did not start out thinking I wanted to be a collector. That changed when I started learning about all the varieties available and all the sizes and colors. I can now see how easy it could turn into a 50 to 100 trees without even thinking of a side business. Figs are just one of those things we can't get enough of.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
I don't intend to become a collector, but in order to taste different varieties, you either have to buy them or have a really good friend who is willing to let you sample theirs. Once I am satisfied with a few, reliable varieties I will downsize.  I don't need 50-100 fig trees.  I have around 30 citrus trees and that right there is too many. I will be reducing those as well at some point in the future.
WL: heirloom varieties, Astoria Green, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Cendrosa, Ciliegia Dolce, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Socorro Black, White Maderia #1

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
I'm looking for a house with more land.....and no, I dont have a problem :-[.  I can stop whenever I want.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
Its a fun hobby, and I love the diversity of the types.  My goal is to have lots to eat myself, and share with other plant lovers.  I belong to three fruit clubs, and have given away hundreds of rare fruit trees.  Figs are a relatively new addition to my collection.  I couldn't possibly eat all the fruit from all of the trees.  I may sell a few to finance the hobby, but I have no intention to make a profit.  Taxes, fertilizer, equipment and materials needed to keep a large orchard viable are not free.  I've sold about 140 bucks in plants and produce in 2019, I'm about 5 grand in the hole.  Like I said, its a hobby, and keeps me active.  Those who sit in front of the tube all day after retirement don't fare well in the game of life. Also there is nothing like walking into the yard any day of the year and finding something tasty to eat.  If we run into teotwawki (The end of the world as we know it) I may die with everyone else, but it won't be from hunger.

"Get out and enjoy enjoy the great outdoors" - Manny Gordon

Jerry

Jerry
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
To Fig or not to fig Tis the question ? This would be up to every individuals preference.

Over the many years we have set up and built multiple Orchards in different stages of our life. Many fruit orchards grape Vineyards nut Groves. All for personal consumption and to give out to friends and family.

We had a sister in law that work for Earl May's nurseries which I know a lot of people have heard of. So she was a big help in getting wholesale prices on a lot of items that we acquired. So we've always been around fresh fruits and vegetables with large Gardens and working the soil. And we still have Gardens and fruit tree Orchards and banana Groves.

And we still believe in feeding people and giving to others we are getting ready to ship off fresh citrus too family members up north. We had semi retired at 55 and we're getting ready to retire again. We research Bananas and fig trees to see what works best for our upickit Orchards great retirement plan and still be able to feed people.

So we've been around for a long time have seen many Fig enthusiasts come and go some with the right reasons others with the wrong reasons.

And it's quite easy to tell them apart. If you wondering how come somebody has two to three hundred different fig varieties just look it really is just about that easy.

This all shows up on social media whether it's here Facebook YouTube it's quite apparent why they do this. Some collectors will fill a barn during the winter to store they're collection.

Other places you can see somebody's backyard just packed full with little walk paths trying to keep these little trees alive. But most that are here in southern figs are after a few great-tasting figs and choosing multiple varieties to extend their growing season. So what is your reason to Fig ? Or not to Fig

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
Its a fun hobby, and I love the diversity of the types.  My goal is to have lots to eat myself, and share with other plant lovers.  I belong to three fruit clubs, and have given away hundreds of rare fruit trees.  Figs are a relatively new addition to my collection.  I couldn't possibly eat all the fruit from all of the trees.  I may sell a few to finance the hobby, but I have no intention to make a profit.  Taxes, fertilizer, equipment and materials needed to keep a large orchard viable are not free.  I've sold about 140 bucks in plants and produce in 2019, I'm about 5 grand in the hole.  Like I said, its a hobby, and keeps me active.  Those who sit in front of the tube all day after retirement don't fare well in the game of life. Also there is nothing like walking into the yard any day of the year and finding something tasty to eat.  If we run into teotwawki (The end of the world as we know it) I may die with everyone else, but it won't be from hunger.

"Get out and enjoy enjoy the great outdoors" - Manny Gordon

Jerry

Jerry
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Panache

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
.....and no, I dont have a problem :-[.  I can stop whenever I want.
That's right, we can stop anytime!! :)
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Panache

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:11 PM »
Good answers, sounds very reasonable.

I became interested in growing by a book I came across at a thrift store called "Figs Out of Doors" by Justin Brooke from the 50's. This Englishman had been growing figs successfully on a commercial scale in the UK back in the 50's and  obviously the author was really into his subject.

Here is a quote from his forward:  " The prospective fig grower will find an inquiry that the human race may be classified into two main groups: those who are excessively fond of the fresh fruit that they will do anything to obtain it;  and those who are quite indifferent to its flavor. I count myself happy to belong to the first group, which includes so many of the great men of this world." Very modest...

I was particularly interested in the chapter on the 17th century famous French gardener Jean Baptiste De La Quintinye's method of growing figs for the King Louis XIV of France. What a job he had!! Maybe failure to fruit meant the guillotine.

After reading that, I of course googled figs and stirred up more interest. I guess it is fun to learn new things and people like you all here on Southernfigsforum! I too have been gardening and growing fruit for a long time, so I guess figs just seemed to fit
Keeping it fun, definitely to fig!!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:28:50 PM by Bry »
Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Online FigHearted

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
and no, I dont have a problem :-[.  I can stop whenever I want.

LOL!  Yeah, sure.....  Do we need a figervention?  Nah, never!  Keep on keeping on!
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline syconophile

• 8a Starting figs in large containers. Auburn, AL.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »
I see two questions: why do people grow figs at all, and why do collections get so big?

1. I enjoyed my grandmother's fig preserves, so I want to grow figs.

2. You have to prune your trees, and that creates cuttings, and you can root cuttings to get (nearly) free trees, and that multiplies your collection size, so....

3. And then there are interesting varieties you don't have, so you plant some. Now see #2.
Zone 8a
Fig WL: Buzzone Nero, LSU Red Fig, BB-10, Excel, Hunt, Hardy Chicago, Mary Lane, Alma, Bordeaux, Osborn Prolific
Other WL: Dwarf pawpaw
Have cuttings: Brown Turkey

Starting for 2020: Brunswick, Celeste, LSU Purple, Unknown fig from a N Ala farm, Col de Dame Blanc, Col de Dame Noir

Online Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
I personally donít think w will ever buy one of those rare figs I would be happy with a nice selection of types but saying that if I win one on here I will try to grow it. I do wonder how many r on here to acquire those rare varieties for profit.
Wish list. Any but brown Turkey ,Ronde de Boudreaux ,Hardy Chicago,Marseilles ,and lattarula. Thanks James

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
After all's said and done, I don't think I will be able to go back to my single fig tree!!

Variety is spice!! right?

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 12:53:54 PM »
I always liked figs, but when I moved to San Luis Obispo, CA that all changed. That must be the fig capital of America. Fig trees on every corner, in every backyard. The sidewalks are stained purple from the fallen fruit. No kidding! And at the farmers market each week was a plethora of different fig varieties to try. They have the perfect climate there for figs and people love them. But when I moved to Oregon, that all changed. Figs are kinda rare here. They only sell a couple of varieties in the stores, usually mission and kadota, good but not really exciting varieties compared to the others I tried. But when I tried to buy a fig tree up here in Oregon, I found only the most common varieties for (Removed Word), and man were they expensive. They all told me that the season is short here so only a few varieties will work. One nursery was charging 75 big ones for a fig tree! So I did a bit of research and found out that they can be grown in pots which can extend the growing season. That was all I needed to hear. So, now I am trialing as many varieties I can try to see what does well here in southern Oregon. I plan on trying to start a group with our local granges to find other fig enthusiasts in the area and maybe build a local fig lovers community. So, I guess I'm just a fig lover who is very much underfed!
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.