Author Topic: To fig or not to fig?  (Read 568 times)

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
Re: To fig or not to fig?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »
figwillie,

I would like to join in your group of fig expatriates when you get it going. Nice story btw!
Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »
I always liked figs, but when I moved to San Luis Obispo, CA that all changed. That must be the fig capital of America. Fig trees on every corner, in every backyard. The sidewalks are stained purple from the fallen fruit. No kidding! And at the farmers market each week was a plethora of different fig varieties to try. They have the perfect climate there for figs and people love them. But when I moved to Oregon, that all changed. Figs are kinda rare here. They only sell a couple of varieties in the stores, usually mission and kadota, good but not really exciting varieties compared to the others I tried. But when I tried to buy a fig tree up here in Oregon, I found only the most common varieties for (Removed Word), and man were they expensive. They all told me that the season is short here so only a few varieties will work. One nursery was charging 75 big ones for a fig tree! So I did a bit of research and found out that they can be grown in pots which can extend the growing season. That was all I needed to hear. So, now I am trialing as many varieties I can try to see what does well here in southern Oregon. I plan on trying to start a group with our local granges to find other fig enthusiasts in the area and maybe build a local fig lovers community. So, I guess I'm just a fig lover who is very much underfed!

Try Olympia and Hardy Chicago.  Both can take a lot of cold.
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline Ms Figgy

• Great blessings come to those who bless others.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »
To All,
Ok.... this is a very cool topic.  First of all plants are my own therapy and I love being in a garden and growing things.  So why grow an acre of grass to cut?  It makes no sense to waste opportunities to have health filled fruits and other plants.  So at first I planned to try as many varieties as would be considered good options!  And since I have loved the fruit of a 20 or 30 yr old Celeste on my farm when I found out there were other great options now I can tell you i love this hobby!  And sharing the fruit and knowledge and experiences is also awesome and we can thank Steve and JD for helping put this forum together! 

It is a love of this fruit for me and sharing is fun too!

Ms Figgy
Wish list: LSU Red, White Madeira #1, Black Ischia, Izbat an Naj, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A, Nordland

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 11:51:07 PM »
To All,
Ok.... this is a very cool topic.  First of all plants are my own therapy and I love being in a garden and growing things.  So why grow an acre of grass to cut?  It makes no sense to waste opportunities to have health filled fruits and other plants.  So at first I planned to try as many varieties as would be considered good options!  And since I have loved the fruit of a 20 or 30 yr old Celeste on my farm when I found out there were other great options now I can tell you i love this hobby!  And sharing the fruit and knowledge and experiences is also awesome and we can thank Steve and JD for helping put this forum together! 

It is a love of this fruit for me and sharing is fun too!

Ms Figgy

So true, Ms Figgy!
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow