Author Topic: Olympian fig  (Read 516 times)

Online Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
Olympian fig
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the Olympian fig. Looking for some feedback. Good or bad?
Wish list. Any but brown Turkey ,Ronde de Boudreaux ,Hardy Chicago,Marseilles ,and lattarula. Thanks James

Offline Redfish_Matt

• Please sir, is it ok to have more cuttings?
Re: Olympian fig
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Good.

Bought one last April from Lowes. Discovered it actually had two rooted stems, so I divided them. The one I divided off grew RAPIDLY go about 5' tall.

The main tree produced several 4' branches about a dozen HUGE figs.

Taste was mild, but definitely a winner. Sweet, pleasant, and surprisingly "fluffy" is about all I can really say. They weren't dense, they were very light.

I liked it so much I put one in the ground.
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Offline Figmebaby1moretime

• Introvert but willing to discuss figs
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
I have only had one, it was a bit over ripe, but it tasted so good. It has a very honey flavor to it.
Wl: socorro black,CdD blanc, CdD rimada, Cavaliere, Red libya, violet sepor, Lsu red, black madeira, Smith, RGR, bass favorite
South Texas
Zone : 9b

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »
James, I am growing an Olympian in a 15 gallon tub.   I bought it because it is supposed to be very cold hardy.    The growth habit on mine is very open, unlike my VdB, which is more dense.   I harvested about 4 dozen very large figs this year.   I have not sampled many varieties of figs, but I found the taste to be very sweet and with a deep berry flavor, not so much honey.    Ants seemed to love them too.   These figs made a great jam using the recipe I saw on this site.   

I hope to root some cuttings this spring and then offer the small plants during the summer.   Let us know if you are looking for cuttings, small plants, or larger specimens.

Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »
This is one I should try in my area too as it will grow well in the pacific northwest. Other descriptions I have read say they aren't real tasty so I haven't invested in it yet. My guess is I'll like them. I seem to like all figs I try! Thanks for letting us know how they grow and taste to you.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Offline Figmebaby1moretime

• Introvert but willing to discuss figs
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:21:32 AM »
James, I am growing an Olympian in a 15 gallon tub.   I bought it because it is supposed to be very cold hardy.    The growth habit on mine is very open, unlike my VdB, which is more dense.   I harvested about 4 dozen very large figs this year.   I have not sampled many varieties of figs, but I found the taste to be very sweet and with a deep berry flavor, not so much honey.    Ants seemed to love them too.   These figs made a great jam using the recipe I saw on this site.   

I hope to root some cuttings this spring and then offer the small plants during the summer.   Let us know if you are looking for cuttings, small plants, or larger specimens.

Now I'm really curious to see if the tree I have is really an olympian, I bought it at a local nursery. The taste on mine was a clear honey taste.
Wl: socorro black,CdD blanc, CdD rimada, Cavaliere, Red libya, violet sepor, Lsu red, black madeira, Smith, RGR, bass favorite
South Texas
Zone : 9b

Offline Redfish_Matt

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »
If it's easily bigger than a golf ball on average and threatening to grow to the size of a tennis ball, and very light brownish green, then it's probably an Olympian.

I got my plant from a big box store, and the taste was definitely honey/melon. Reminded me of a sweet honeydew melon.
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
For those that have the plant, might I suggest posting pics of the leaves and figs so they can be used as a reference.  Just a suggestion.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Redfish_Matt

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »
*musters up Karl Childers voice*

"It ain't got no leaves er figs on it"
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Offline opiem10

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
For those interested, I posted some pictures of my Olympian on the "Finally beat the birds" posting JD had on Aug 2nd.   I think it is on page 6 of the My Figs and Tree Pictures folder.   These were the first figs I ever harvested from this plant.  They were very big and sweet.   I say they had a deep berry flavor, maybe even a deep watermelon flavor.   These were also the first figs I ever harvested at the time and I didn't know if I let them ripen a bit too much.   They did make a very good fig jam.

The leaves on my plant are a lighter green and the plant is quite open in its growth habit.   Fruits seem to go from a medium green fig to a larger yellow/brown fig overnight when they are ripening.
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 07:43:57 AM »
Hey John if you can repost your photos with the right title under fig pictures thanks JD here's the link. https://southernfigsforum.com/index.php/topic,546.0.html

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
Spent the past week in Northern FL and cousins have a variety of fruit trees. Of course, since I apparently have tunnel vision lately towards figs, overlooked the rest and honed in on what was visible. They have an Olympian fig tree, about an year old and produces well. What I learned is watering in moderation can affect the coloration, striations and taste so would describe as it dense, jammy and not overtly sweet. Overall, think it was one of the better tasting figs I had in a while.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:10:51 AM by elusivefig »
WL: Yellow Panache, Jolly Tiger, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, Campaniere, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro