Author Topic: Southern Living  (Read 1409 times)

Online mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
Re: Southern Living
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
I am looking forward to visit. I love gumbo and I will be glad to eat authentic gumbo when I visit.

Love gumbo do not get me wrong but boudin, now that is a food group all on to itself.

we make a shrimp boudin and a crawfish and Crabbe but the shrimp one1 the oh my whole oh my d a t.. we use a 60/40 shrimp to 40% rice some green chives and a little Wild Onion that grow around here. Summit we smoke dare a bit you take Dat they fry dat up with some eggs Om Aheeee

Never has shrimp boudin but it sounds dangerous.... in a good way
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Black Jack, Qudssaya, BB10

Coastal Alabama

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
I am looking forward to visit. I love gumbo and I will be glad to eat authentic gumbo when I visit.

Love gumbo do not get me wrong but boudin, now that is a food group all on to itself.

we make a shrimp boudin and a crawfish and Crabbe but the shrimp one1 the oh my whole oh my d a t.. we use a 60/40 shrimp to 40% rice some green chives and a little Wild Onion that grow around here. Summit we smoke dare a bit you take Dat they fry dat up with some eggs Om Aheeee
I love crawfish boudin.  I have never seen nor heard of shrimp boudin.  Make your own you say, that sounds very interesting. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »
Making untraditional comfort food. What do you do when it gets cold outside lots of us will make a big old pot of gumbo to heat up Them Bones. We just got a instant pot that pressure Cooks so tonight we broker in.

I'm no Emerald but I do all right. Down here in the South we got wild boar that we get quite a bit of a nuisance to a lot of land owners down here can we grabbed a bag of that mixed up some dat cajun spice put that down in that pressure cooker about 35 minutes.

Then we diced up some onion added some rice pressure cook. about another 20 minutes. Now here come the secret we took some sweet peas and some carrots and cut up figs added that for another 10 minutes and I'm telling you what you got some eating there bam.

You got that Cajun spice with that Roux gravy so now you got that spicy side and that sweet side unique and different. Figs are more than fresh eating and canning now you can also use them to cook

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
For cold weather around my house we have gumbo or chili(deer if we have some) or tamales or arroz con mole.  It all depends on how much time we have.  Honestly I have being craving mole...
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

South Louisiana, 9a

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
How about that jambalaya crawfish pie. 
.   Or Hank.

Offline mud69bug

• I've got a fever and the only cure is more FIGS!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »
Hey AustinPermie

We make our own file. Sassafrass trees are practically a weed at my house. Run over several small ones every time I mow. A dehydrator and a silver bullet ,magic bullet , etc food processor and you are in business.
WL: Smith;Dr.Clark;LSU Red;White Madeira;Violet Sepor;Orphan;Lebanese Red;Honey Plum;Dalmatie; California brown turkey;Super red hybrid;Jurupa; Borgiotto Nero;LSU Thibodeaux twins;Louisiana lightning Fig;T G F Taiwan Gold;Excel;Sierra;White Triana;Pendolino Rosso;Yellow Long Neck
Central La.

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »
You guys are making me hungry, always wanted to get there for Mardi Gras..... need to put it on my bucketlist
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline opiem10

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

I love crawfish boudin.  I have never seen nor heard of shrimp boudin.  Make your own you say, that sounds very interesting.

I have only ever had Turkey boudin from Thanksgiving leftovers.  If anyone has a shrimp or crawfish boudin recipe and wants to post it in the recipe section of this forum, I'd love to see it.   Then I will have to make it!!!
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan

Offline syconophile

• 8a Starting figs in large containers. Auburn, AL.
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 05:13:27 PM »
"Turkey boudin from Thanksgiving leftovers" -- nice! My wife, Jamie, substituted turkey into her usual Chicken Andouille gumbo, and it wasn't bad.
Zone 8a
Fig WL: Buzzone Nero, LSU Red Fig, BB-10, Excel, Hunt, Hardy Chicago, Mary Lane, Alma, Bordeaux, Osborn Prolific
Other WL: Dwarf pawpaw
Have cuttings: Brown Turkey

Starting for 2020: Brunswick, Celeste, LSU Purple, Unknown fig from a N Ala farm, Col de Dame Blanc, Col de Dame Noir

Online mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »
"Turkey boudin from Thanksgiving leftovers" -- nice! My wife, Jamie, substituted turkey into her usual Chicken Andouille gumbo, and it wasn't bad.

I did something similar, I subbed in smoked turkey legs for chicken.  It wasn't as bit a hit as I expected.  Back to chicken next time.
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Black Jack, Qudssaya, BB10

Coastal Alabama

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 02:58:40 PM »
Southern living does have its advantages I enjoy walking out and pulling a fresh banana off my trees or fresh orange, grapefruit but also one of the advantages are what we call second crop fresh produce.

I just finished a head of cauliflower the other day and will be cook me up some broccoli tonight. Tomorrow we're going to have us some cooked cabbage fresh new potatoes and of course red bean and rice.

We have fresh produce year-round and usually we have fresh tomatoes part of these we grow in a greenhouse along with the herbs and spices this with the combination of fresh seafood I'm telling you what Dat eat healthy live long and don't forget about the greens.

Online KelleyGA8a

• Citruholic and Fig Fiend
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »
I could definitely go for beignets and a hot cup of coffee right now 🤤
Stockbridge, GA - Zone 8a

Wish List: Vasilika Sika, Markopoulo, I-376, LSU Red, I-258, CdD Roja, Martinenca Rimada, Battaglia Green, MBVS

Grow List: Adriatic JH, SMGG, Ponte Tresa, Panache, Galluzzo Bianco, Paradiso

Offline swmofigger

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
i would settle for a pot of good spicy red beans and rice and a couple of pieces of southern fried chicken with a mess of greens.
wl: LSU Red, LSU Gold, Smith, Negronne, Violette de Bordeaux, J H Adriatic, Marseilles, Brown Turkey, Desert King, Cold hardy Figs

But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 12:44:29 PM »
Strawberries in January ? Yep

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
JD,

That is weird cause I have some citrus flowering and at least one of my blueberry plants.

South Louisiana, 9a