Author Topic: Mother Nature Cannot Be Contained  (Read 212 times)

Online FigHearted

Mother Nature Cannot Be Contained
« on: December 08, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
The force in nature to live is a very strong one.  In another thread, I wrote that I have a mango seed growing.  It had sprouted about 1" with red stem and green tip, then it just stopped growing for 3 or 4 days.  I finally gave in and decided to look at it.  Picked up the seed (half on the surface) only to discover it was not attached to the growth!  I thought that was why it stopped growing, that somehow it had broken off.   

I just stuck the stem back in and covered it.  Here we are a few days later, and it has once again grown and is sprouting a tiny little leaf!  I know, I know..... roots before shoots.  I was not messing with it to see if it has any roots.  It just might have been working on forming them all those days when it was not growing.

So now a few more days later, and that tiny green tip has started to leaf out.  It's not a mango by any means.  It's a FIG!!!  I have never put a fig cutting in that container or that container's medium before.  There is no magical Fig Wasp Tooth Fairy at my house.  So how did it get there to grow when there is not even a cutting in the medium?

Well, I do remember that when I was sticking my two tiny, smaller than pencil, twig cuttings from my near to my heart tree, since the cuttings were so super thin, I popped off the very tip to try to make it forget about leafing and concentrate on rooting.  You know, that tiny little baby tip that forms on the baby branches.  This tip was so small.  Half the size of a pencil eraser.  It fell out of my hand, and I just could never see it to find it, so I forgot about it. 

That has got to be what decided to grow.  It's the only possibility that there is.  As much as we would all wish it so, figs just do not magically appear in our propagation boxes.

This little thing, half the size of a pencil top eraser and all alone in the world, decided to grow.  Nothing more than just the bud tip.  First the reddish stem appeared, then the tiny leaf bud, then the tiny leaf.  Last time I took it out days ago when I thought it was the mango seed growing (red stem, right next to the mango seed), there were no roots.  I put it back and I am so glad I did.  I am not touching it till I see signs of roots on the container's edge.

The lineage of that bud's tree has always been very special to me.  All I have of my original 20+ year old tree was a root cutting (not a branch cutting), that took about 6 months or more to get it to do something in the middle of our desert summer.  When it finally did grow, she insisted on growing parallel to the ground almost.  Even after I turned and repotted her with that branch now straight up, she turned it back and almost parallel again.  One summer and two moves later, it's only about 18 to 24 inches "tall." 

Because she has not gone to sleep yet for the year, I took only that one small, small twig cutting from her to see if I could root it.  None of these big, fat cuttings.  Just some twig of a cutting.  It's from that that I popped off the bud and the bud, all alone and by itself, decided to grow!  My money says there are baby roots down there and that it is going to survive.  That original mother tree is a survivor and a producer of giant, delicious figs. 

Mother nature at her best determination to survive ~ "This Bud's for you!"
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online Swamplife

Re: Mother Nature Cannot Be Contained
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
That is an awesome story. You are correct, whenever Mother Nature decides something no one can stop it
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
Congratulations.  That is a great story.  Very happy you have a piece of your original fig tree.  Love hearing about trees that get passed down from generation to generation.  I am trying to do that for my kids.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:07:37 PM by LaFigGwr2019 »
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Redfish_Matt

• Please sir, is it ok to have more cuttings?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:40:36 PM »
Uh oh. Either you have the Messiah fig, or the Anti-Christ fig lol. Virgin birth fig........

Did you have any angelic visitations before it sprouted?

Seriously though... that is crazy cool. Grow that thing and see what you get from it, this would be one of the most fun mystery "volunteers" I've heard of.
Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger
Peter's Honey
Vasilika Sika
Ponte Tresa
Battaglia green

Online FigHearted

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 04:03:44 AM »
8 days later, and she is still going and growing.  I cannot see any roots on the side of the container yet, but there is a bit of a distance there.  Still going to leave her alone and just watch.  No tugging.  I've added a light.  I think I will give her some diluted fish emulsion tomorrow as just a little snack.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow