Author Topic: Pot sizes and growth  (Read 238 times)

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
Pot sizes and growth
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
I am looking for recommendations for pot sizes during various growing stages.  I live in SW Florida, so the winter isn't much of a consideration.  In fact I still have trees producing like crazy.  I'm currently rooting about 100 cuttings and they will be close to moving up soon.  I've seen previous postings that discuss the importance of pot sizes and up potting during growth.  So let fly your recommendations on sizes, and frequency of up potting.  Also, when do you know its time from cutting to a 6 footer?

The forum members here are the best!

Thanks

Jerry
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Pot sizes and growth
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
I donít have the # of cuttings that you have but I have some and these are the size of pots that I got.  I will start with 1 gal and then move to 3 then 5 then 7 and right now I have a couple in 10gal.  I waited till I saw roots before I up potted mine and they did not have any shock.  I have a 17 gal that I want to use but I want it to be a special tree.  I just started growing fig trees so I really donít have anything that needs to be cut back, sorry.  Hope that helps
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
When you get up to a 100 gallon pot please post pictures :-)
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
100gal, thatís called my backyard.   I donít think I will ever have a pot that size.  I can move a 17gal, I might even go as high as 25 but that is it. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
One should always be careful of what they ask grasshopper

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
One should always be careful of what they ask grasshopper

JD,

The one I have looks like the creme one in your picture.  I have being looking to get me a couple(10-20) more cause they look like they can take the weather and I can place them around like a hedge and create a small micro climate in my backyard.  I just need to find someone with animals that use that type of containers as food containers.  You probably have them all over your place
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:56:18 AM by LaFigGwr2019 »

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
This is a mineral feed with Molasses for like caf's when the cattle start to bear their young. Anyone raising cattle in your area should have these. We use a two wheeler with a strap to help move the trees around. The downsides of it is get ready to spend some money for for your soil substrate baby these are like 50 gallon pots

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:50 PM »
Craig's list is also flooded, at least in my area, with food grade used containers.  I hit up the local market's bakery dept. for 5 gallon pails.  Nearly all give them away.

Offline Redfish_Matt

• Please sir, is it ok to have more cuttings?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
Keep your eyes open for landscapers planting trees, they often discard the big 20-30 gallon plastic pots they used.

I scored a dozen 30g pots last year along with about 20 3-gallon pots.

As for cuttings, I don't have time to be repotting all the time. I know figs tend to enjoy being rootbound but in this hot Charleston heat, they grow a ton of roots in a single season anyhow.

My cuttings frequently follow this pattern:

1) Dixie Cup.
2) 5 Gallon bucket (and gets acclimated to full sun at this point)-- stays here for at least 1 season, maybe 2 if I'm lazy.
3) 20-30 gallon container.

I don't know yet what I do if they rootbound a 30 gallon container. I can move a 30 gallon with my hand truck so I'm not too worried about it.

Wish List:

Mary Lane
Hunt
Panache
Col de damme blanc
Smith
Popone
Hollier
Beall
LSU Gold
LSU Champagne
LSU Tiger