Author Topic: Pumice Stone Sourcing  (Read 364 times)

Offline FigHearted

Pumice Stone Sourcing
« on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:54 AM »
I would really like to use pumice stone in my potting mix, but acquiring it seems to require the national budget when you factor in shipping.  Has anyone found a cheap decent source for it?  I have thought of a local rockery, but I do not want a yard of it, just 5 or 10 gallons worth bagged or in a bucket. 

I have thought of buying those $5 bags of colored lava rock, but the amount of work required to smash it down to smaller pieces is more than I have energy to do.  (Enjoy life and your abilities while you can, you young whipper-snappers.  When you get old and land in a wheelchair, the simplest of things can quickly become major challenges.)

I have previously called the company that supplies the bagged lava rocks and they have assured me that they do not dye or in any way color the stones.  And while they are full of micro nutrients, the pumice stone has a bit more and so is better in that respect, too.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
Re: Pumice Stone Sourcing
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:11:02 AM »
How does this sound?

Gardening Pumice Soil Amendment | 1/8" Screened | 8 Quarts for under 25 delivered
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Black Jack, Qudssaya, BB10

Coastal Alabama

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 05:39:32 AM »
Thanks, but that's quite expensive for me.   :(  For $25, I was hoping to get at least 5 gallons worth if not 7 or 8.  Eight quarts is only 2 gallons.
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline zeeker13

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
Can I ask why pumice stone?  Is it for looks?  The reason I ask is there are different grades of perlite that will work like pumice and hold air and water in the soil and there are many sources of cheap micro nutrients.  Just an idea that might save some $.
Looking for cool coastal climate figs for the Pacific NW zone 9b.  No specific list but dessert king and atreano do well here so something along those genetics.

Online GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
Search for AZOMITE on Amazon.  Its probably what you are really looking for, and in your price range.  A lot of people swear by this stuff.
Want -BB-10, Buzzone Nero, Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, any LSU Strawberry, Tiger, Gold, Yellow, Black, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Stella, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 12:26:39 AM »
Can I ask why pumice stone?  Is it for looks?  The reason I ask is there are different grades of perlite that will work like pumice and hold air and water in the soil and there are many sources of cheap micro nutrients.  Just an idea that might save some $.

I'm not the biggest fan of perlite over pumice.  Perlite can tend to migrate to the top of the pot over time.  As it dries out, it blows away.  I've seen it float over the edge of my pots here given the few rains that we have.   Our rains tend to come on strong, dump fast, then pass.  Pumice is heavier and won't float away.  It is a better choice if the plant is tall because the weight of the pumice can help prevent the pot from toppling.

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 12:55:51 AM »
Search for AZOMITE on Amazon.  Its probably what you are really looking for, and in your price range.  A lot of people swear by this stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, but all the azomite I have ever seen in micronized.  I have a bag of it, too, and if you are using it in small amounts to add as a nutrient, that's fine, but if you add it in the quantities that I would be using (1/3), it's like adding clay.  I once accidentally put too much on top of a potted fig.  Watching water try to drain through the pot was like watching a dam drain.  I ended up scrapping off the top layer to get the excess off.

I thought of using the chunky DE, but I really do not want something that is so absorbent that it is sold for that purpose.  I also do not know how well it holds up over time.  Does it break down and compress and turn into a powder under the weight of a tree?  I guess until I win the lottery, I will use the lava rocks.  I'll just have to try to find the sacks with the most smaller pieces.

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:24 AM »
It seems like that with most soils and amendments. Cheap by the yard, expensive by the bag, and nothing in-between. Maybe you should spring for the yard and see if you can find someone to split it with, or use it for other projects? Personally I've never had problems with perlite migrating out, but I do understand the weight issue. Azomite is only sold as a powder as far as I've seen. Another option might be pea gravel. It will give airspace and certainly won't migrate or break down on you. It's cheap and available everywhere and about the size large perlite beads. I've never tried it, so just a thought.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 02:53:20 AM »
@figWillie, I can look into the pea gravel.  I am not physically able to deal with anything delivered or sold by the yard.  I wish I could.

Talk about pricing, I just picked up a 50# bag of oyster shells the other day at the local feed store for $13.99.  They have a 5# box for, wait for it....... $8.99!!!  That's $90 if you bought 50#s by the small boxes.  Unbelievable.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »
Here's a new one for you. We have used all the elements that been mentioned.

Why don't you go to the Lowe's Home Depot your local Garden Center they all carry Pine bark.

The bark is where all the nutrients are held and overtime they break down as a slow-release and feed your plant.

Here's food for thought if you've ever purchased a tree or shrub.

You may notice that the pot is filled full of tree by-products and pine bark no soil out of thousands of local retailers home box stores they all can't be wrong.

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
I use mini pine bark nuggets in all my potted plants to help with drainage.  It's cheap, easy to find and not that heavy.  Eventually, it will break down and have to be replaced.  It's ok because I have to root prune anyway and will refresh the potting mix at the same time.
WL: heirloom varieties, Astoria Green, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Cendrosa, Ciliegia Dolce, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini, Strawberry Verte, Smith, Socorro Black, White Maderia #1

Offline opiem10

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »
I was just searching a little for lava stones.   Home Depot sells a 10lb bag of 3/8 inch lava for about $25.   I don't know the volume a 10lb bag would fill.   I looked under lava stone for fire pits.
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 12:50:37 AM »
.5 cubic foot (they don't tell you the weight) is $5.20 at HomeDepot.  They sell it under landscape rocks a lot cheaper.

Online Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Try Optisorb. It is made of diatomaceous  earth, is lightweight and holds 3 times it's weight of water. Approx $10 and can b found at Graingers, NAPA or other auto parts stores. There are different brands....just need it to be made of diatomaceous earth.
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Panache