Author Topic: Steve Pictures of rooting cups and others in holding Green House 2  (Read 71365 times)

Me...2001 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Steve Pictures of rooting cups and others in holding Green House 2
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
If they are leaves, I would but if they are bumps I would not and make sure you put them in the dark.  The dark is our friend in the beginning of the rooting.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Cravens C., Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red)

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 01:13:20 AM »
Thank you.

I do have another question.

If the cutting begins to shoot leaves out before roots, then should I remove the leaves so that the energy is going to solely root growth and not both?

Steve here,

When I root in Dark tubs I am pushing for Speed
2 week never open the tubs
If green shots grow I don't worry about it even if it whips and turn brown and falls of look like it died
it will grow a new bud again some of mine grow 2 buds on the side of the dead one.

What I want is roots not green the green will come after the roots.

I know that a lot of you think that when they see green shots and leaves that you have to keep it growing
not true.

Look in the tubs you see some roted stems that died this is out due to they sitting in high humidity and no sun light
I look for fist sight of root a little root that hits the cups maybe just a 1/4 inch then I will pull from the tub
and put where light is like one of the green house. and feed it B3 and just let it grow in to a nice tree.

all the rotted leaves don't worry me just the roots the node will push new buds and leaves .

I hope this helps.

P.s

For Mode I put Sticks or cardboard in the bottom of the tubs and spray the side with a mist to push
mod to the bottom and to the wood or cardboard .
Works for me.

Steve

Be Nice to each other and good to your figs and cuttings may come your way all for free. southernfigsforum.com

Offline floridafigfan

• Grower of things!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
Thank you all.

I guess all I have left to buy is a storage bin and maybe some more cuttings.

I do have another question. What is the best way to avoid transplant shock? I read that B1 reduces the risk. I ask because I stunted several of my pepper seedlings when I transplanted them from coco coir to soil. It was my first time using coco to sow them and I didn't use any fertilizers. I'm thinking the sudden increase in nutrients from coco to soil is what did them in. Are cuttings that sensitive as well?

Last one. In regards to cuttings, I recently purchased several cuttings from a gentleman in Louisiana. He, generously, gave me more cuttings than I had asked for. One of them is an LSU C-1. I can't find much info on the forum regarding C-1. A web search showed that C-1 was used with Celeste to create other LSU cultivars. I also read it was a caprifig. Can anyone else share more information on LSU C-1? Will it produce edible figs?

Thank you,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:26:32 AM by floridafigfan »
Wishlist: BB-10, White Madeira, Azores Dark, Golden Celeste...ALL LSU cultivars!, Blanche de deux Saison, Hative d'Argentile, Martinenca Rimada, Colonel Littmans, Ponte Tresa, Dall'Osso, Violet Sepor, Rigato del Salento

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 11:38:47 AM »
Well Chris hate to tell you looks like the Fig Mafia got a part of you. There is no LSU C1 there is a Capri fig C1 which is a non edible variety. This fig really serves no purpose whatsoever not even for fig breeding.

Please start another post in the right category underneath fig help or less talk figs about the C1 variety this question is off topic.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:47:04 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline floridafigfan

• Grower of things!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
Well Chris hate to tell you looks like the Fig Mafia got a part of you. There is no LSU C1 there is a Capri fig C1 which is a non edible variety. This fig really serves no purpose whatsoever not even for fig breeding

Thank you JD for the clarification. I had a feeling. I wasn't charged for it so it could've been worse. I'll message him directly and see what information I get from him.

Again, thank you.
Wishlist: BB-10, White Madeira, Azores Dark, Golden Celeste...ALL LSU cultivars!, Blanche de deux Saison, Hative d'Argentile, Martinenca Rimada, Colonel Littmans, Ponte Tresa, Dall'Osso, Violet Sepor, Rigato del Salento

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
Thank you all.

I guess all I have left to buy is a storage bin and maybe some more cuttings.

I do have another question. What is the best way to avoid transplant shock? I read that B1 reduces the risk. I ask because I stunted several of my pepper seedlings when I transplanted them from coco coir to soil. It was my first time using coco to sow them and I didn't use any fertilizers. I'm thinking the sudden increase in nutrients from coco to soil is what did them in. Are cuttings that sensitive as well?

Last one. In regards to cuttings, I recently purchased several cuttings from a gentleman in Louisiana. He, generously, gave me more cuttings than I had asked for. One of them is an LSU C-1. I can't find much info on the forum regarding C-1. A web search showed that C-1 was used with Celeste to create other LSU cultivars. I also read it was a caprifig. Can anyone else share more information on LSU C-1? Will it produce edible figs?

Thank you,

Chris

Steve here,

Use something with B3 in it.

Steve
Be Nice to each other and good to your figs and cuttings may come your way all for free. southernfigsforum.com

Online AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »
Wow thatís amazing. More kudos to both of you.
Wishlist: LSU Red (SFF), Socorro Black, I-258, BB10, CCD Blanc, CCD Noir, CCD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf. Raspberry Latte, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Red Lebanese, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening Fig, Buzzone Nero, LSU Varieties. Giant Brown Turkey Fig.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
More more more we potted up about a hundred of them today this is my group technique safe space.

Online FigHearted

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »
Such a beautiful sight - roots and shoots!
WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
These pictures are very inspirational.  Thanks for sharing a peak into the work you guys are doing.
WL: any varigated or striped fig; Penny Celeste; anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; a weeping fig that bears fruit; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees

Offline figskeez

• Welcome !!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »
That's awesome, JD!
Wish List: Paratjal Rimada, I-258, Smith, LDA, RDB, Ithaca, Strawberry Verte, Emerald Strawberry, LSU Strawberry, Colonel Littman's BC, Popone.

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 03:33:02 PM »
Everytime i found a fig cutting rotted, i would come here and stared at these pictures for few seconds and regret that i should have stored cuttings in the fridge for spring. Rotting is my biggest enemy but once cuttings breakthrough the rooting stage, they are less likely to rot.
Wish list: WM#1, Green Ischia, BNR

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 01:48:55 AM »
Really nice JD. Hope I can as nice come the spring.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero. Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants. Florida pineapple pups, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Offline megojoe

• Yes the Boss
    • Hostminis.com
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »
Steve here,

Most the time like 99% of the time when cuttings rot it is because they or to WET WET WET!!!

Learn to feel the dampness of Dirt or Coco care.

Coco core should be damp and put in a tub and never have to wet again really before you see roots.

I hope this helps.

Steve 
Wish List:
Be Nice for the love of figs!!
Share your figs!!
But Eat them First!

Online AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »
Wow J.D great job with the cuttings. I am inspired to be successful with my cuttings.
Wishlist: LSU Red (SFF), Socorro Black, I-258, BB10, CCD Blanc, CCD Noir, CCD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf. Raspberry Latte, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Red Lebanese, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening Fig, Buzzone Nero, LSU Varieties. Giant Brown Turkey Fig.