Carnivorous Plants (Fly traps ) > Flytraps and Pitcher Plants

Pitcher Plant

(1/1)

Casey:
Hi

My brother just sent me a picture of his Pitcher plant - I had never heard of them and thought they were quite interesting, so I would look here for info, to see if Mr. Steve or anyone else had one. Of course, there's a whole section here! His plant died, he thinks he was supposed to let it sit in a little water over the winter months. Is he correct? Anyways, I might go pick one up tomorrow from the same place that he got his.

cornbread:
I'm sorry to hear your brother's plant died.  The photo looks like Nepenthes alata?  Nepenthes should always be kept in a well drained mix and never sit in water.  They don't require a dormancy period like our native pitcher plants and generally grow all year. 

Did he fertilize it?  Sometimes.carnivorous plants are sensitive to the chlorine in the tap water.

AtlantaFig:

--- Quote from: cornbread on January 11, 2020, 10:07:34 PM ---I'm sorry to hear your brother's plant died.  The photo looks like Nepenthes alata?  Nepenthes should always be kept in a well drained mix and never sit in water.  They don't require a dormancy period like our native pitcher plants and generally grow all year. 

Did he fertilize it?  Sometimes.carnivorous plants are sensitive to the chlorine in the tap water.

--- End quote ---

That is interesting.

Figs_Italy:
This is regular asian pitcher plant. You must use not fertilized soil, best medium would be the sphagnum peat moss mix with perlite(unfertilized peat moss usually come in 2 cuft bag). Most carnivores plants do not tolerate tap water over 50ppm, while this plants can adapt with most tap water unless your city’s tap water is really bad(over 100ppm), leave it for at least 12 hrs to allow chlorine to evaporate prior to watering the plant.

Pitchers form under heat and high humidity. During the early stage of pitcher, they wilt easily if the air is too dry, but once pitcher is emerged, they won’t be affected by the humidity much.

Below is my miranda pitcher plant, it produces much larger pitchers but care is similar to your pitcher plant.

Swamplife:
very nice plant. looks extremely healthy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version