Author Topic: Get ready to plant seeds from our breed in 2019  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Administrator

• Global Moderator
  • Gotta Love them !
Get ready to plant seeds from our breed in 2019
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:50:58 AM »
Steve here,

I got a ton of seeds that are good and ready to be planted from our breeding in 2019.
and hoping to get a lot of them going in the next week or so. I will do them by 12 per breed
2 males and 10 females in each group. of the breed.

Hoping to come out with a good stock this year as in the past.

I will try to keep everyone updated on this new year of Breeding so we can all grow with the seeds.

A Lot of the seeds are from figs we are trying to make better and hope for a great year.

Steve

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:35:23 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
Re: Get ready to plant seeds from our breed in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »
Thatís awesome. I appreciate all the time and effort you and JD put into this project. I wish you both a lot of success. Please keep us updated. I find fig breeding fascinating.
Wish list: Hunt, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 06:05:07 AM »
You guys are gonna end up with a 200g common fig that doesn't split in the rain, dries on the tree, has a 30 brix strong flavor with a closed eyes that roots easily and is very vigorous.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline syconophile

• Growing container figs in Auburn, Alabama
  • 8a Starting figs in large containers. Auburn, AL.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »
stealthmayhem

And grows in salty bayou water.
Zone 8a
Fig WL: Buzzone Nero, LSU Red Fig, BB-10, Excel, Hunt, Hardy Chicago, Mary Lane, Alma, Bordeaux, Osborn Prolific
Other WL: Dwarf pawpaw
Have cuttings: Brown Turkey

Starting for 2020: Brunswick, Celeste, LSU Purple, Unknown fig from a N Ala farm, Col de Dame Blanc et Noir

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
stealthmayhem

And grows in salty bayou water.
Yep...forgot about that, also can grow in full sun to full shade, pest resistant, and fruits from March to November.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 08:45:54 AM »
Hoping new breeds to be Green, short season and productive.
Wish list: Bordissot Negra Rimada

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
Black skins are supposed to have better tasting skins than green skins.

Would be fun to watch a time lapse of these babies popping their heads and growing.

How old do the seedlings have to be to be able to tell the males from the females?  Do you have to run a test or is visual alone sufficient?

WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »

Would be fun to watch a time lapse of these babies popping their heads and growing.

How old do the seedlings have to be to be able to tell the males from the females?  Do you have to run a test or is visual alone sufficient?

well opinions vary but I would say if I blindfolded you and gave you about 10 different figs five black skin  and 5 green skin  of different varieties you would probably pick a lot more green skin figs than you can imagine. We have a lot of great great green skin yellow skin figs down here that once you start to eat them you can't stop.

Offline FigHearted

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »

well opinions vary but I would say if I blindfolded you and gave you about 10 different figs five black skin  and 5 green skin  of different varieties you would probably pick a lot more green skin figs than you can imagine. We have a lot of great great green skin yellow skin figs down here that once you start to eat them you can't stop.

Could very well be true.  I've never tasted a green skin fig before, just going by what I have read.  I'm really looking forward to tasting figs from the cuttings I have rooting now, especially the UNK Italian that I bought from you earlier on FB.  The broomstick handle size one has a small bud popping out on it, but I still cannot see any roots in the cup yet.  Doesn't mean they are not there, just perhaps not long enough to make it to the sides yet.  I'm quite sure she will make it though!  Speaking of which, time to go inspect my cuttings!

WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Online AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:11:03 AM »

That is yummy and music to my ear.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
Wow, hey Steve, this has got to be an exciting part of what you guys do. Waiting for new genetic combinations with your pollenation projects.  Fun!!!
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline prince10555

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »
Wow how do you wait until the trees make fruit to see how youíve done,must feel like forever.
Wish List: Louisiana Red, Black and White Madiera, CDDNoir, Louisiana Tiger,EXP-24, Buzzone Nero, LSU Black, Violet Sepor, Dallí Osso, Mosaic Clown, Qalaat al Madig, LSU D-6, BB-10,LSU white honey,DallíOSSO, Damatia

Offline cinhulsen

• Non illegitimi carborundum
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »
can you make them resistant to June bugs?
Wish list would include any of the LSU varieties at this point.  I have Celeste, Giant Celeste,  Golden Celeste, and a  whoknowswhatitis "brown turkey" type.  And LSU Gold. Have tried many of the Calif. types...all split and sour frightfully.

Offline mud69bug

• I've got a fever and the only cure is more FIGS!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 08:39:00 PM »
Pretty sure he is not posting here right now. There was forum drama. You can find southernfigs on fb now. Sorry
WL: Smith;Dr.Clark;LSU Red;White Madeira;Violet Sepor;Orphan;Lebanese Red;Honey Plum;Dalmatie; California brown turkey;Super red hybrid;Jurupa; Borgiotto Nero;LSU Thibodeaux twins;Louisiana lightning Fig;T G F Taiwan Gold;Excel;Sierra;White Triana;Pendolino Rosso;Yellow Long Neck
Central La.