Author Topic: Separate or Leave Side Shoot  (Read 194 times)

Offline FigHearted

Separate or Leave Side Shoot
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:38:55 AM »
What do you use as a general rule when deciding whether to separate or leave a side shoot on a cutting?

I have a 8.5" long cutting of cigar thickness with 4 nodes on it.  It also has a 4" side shoot, not quite pencil thickness also with 4 nodes.  This side shoot is 3/4" off the bottom. 

Would you cut it or leave it and why?

I am thinking to cut it based upon the side shoot is going to get in the way of sticking it in the center or even fitting in cup.

Reasons to Normally Leave  It On -
 Too thin
 A bit on the short side
 Probably not much energy stored in it

Reasons to Normally Cut It Off -
 The side shoot is going to get in the way of sticking it in the center
 Opportunity for a second cutting and rooting of variety
 Diseased or unhealthy

What would you add to each category?

WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey,LSU Purple, Bass' Favorite, Burgan UNK,CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, BM KK, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
Re: Separate or Leave Side Shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:45:00 AM »
I would cut it off.  Second chance for a new plant.  I normally cut off all side shoots that are more than 1/2 down the cutting.  I have to be able to get some nodes under the "mix".  More than 1/2 way would normally stay, depending on size.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:34 AM »
I would cut it off and probably toss it. Why, because it is in your way. Toss it because it’s small and probably won’t root. Just my 2 cents.
Wish list:Hollier, Hunt, Stella, BB10, black soccoro, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
I would cut it off and probably toss it. Why, because it is in your way. Toss it because it’s small and probably won’t root. Just my 2 cents.

I hardly ever toss things.  It would onlycost you a minute and a couple handfuls of "mix".  You could end up with another plant. Of course, I have too many already (which might be because I choose not to throw things away).  I have rooted a black mission "cutting" an inch long, with an apical bud, that was accidentally broken when moving my potted plants inside for winter.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Online WillowBottomFarms

• Hey there from the crazy goat lady and fig lover!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »
I would definitely cut it off but would either use it to practice my grafting skills or rooting skills.
WL: any varigated or striped fig; Penny Celeste; anything unique or heirloom; Louisiana Swamp Fig; EXP 24 Fig; a weeping fig that bears fruit; JDs LSU Red; Jolly Tiger; JDs Golden Celeste; Giant Brown Turkey

Non-fig WL: cold hardy asian pear trees; heirloom apple trees; willow trees

Offline CarolinaFigs

• Howdy, y'all!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 06:37:24 PM »
I’d leave it. If I ended up with two good plants, I’d just separate them later
Wish List:  Smith, Col de Dame (any), Black Marseille, Beer’s Black, Dr. Clark, Peter’s Honey, Black Madeira, Panache, Golden Riverside, Socorro Black, Mary Lane, Flanders, Bronx White, LSU (any)——particularly interested in the LSUs (I only have Purple) and anything from France