Author Topic: Damage from rodents and rabbits  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
  • Bless others with FIGS!
Damage from rodents and rabbits
« on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:45 AM »
To All,

This year due to rodent damage etc I am painting the trees in my orchard with 1/2 latex and water, copper sulfate, and hot red pepper and putting out rodentcides. I am also planning to put tree guards around some trees.  The bark is tasty to varmits!  Ugh!  The trees become susceptible to fungus and diseases after rodents damage the protective bark ! 

All the best,

Ms Figgy
Wish list: White Madeira #1, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
Re: Damage from rodents and rabbits
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:32 AM »
Please let us know how it works out. I know this is going to be a future problem for me.
Wish list: Hunt, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »
Ms Figgy,  If you use the Tom Cat devices and bait, I do not think you will have an issue with rodents.   I bought the big black boxes to put around my house and the rodent problems I have had in the past are solved.  And with the boxes, the bait lasts a long, long time.
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
I had a tree squirrel get into my greenhouse in November, and it ate up all of my baby trees from last year. Most are coming back to life now but two are clearly dead. They not only like the taste of the bark, they seem to like the higher quality figs too. I lost a really nice tree.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:38:09 PM by figWillie »
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Offline Under the fig tree

• Welcome !!
    • 73irhonhard@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:19 PM »
I had damage from what I think are rats to some newly planted fig trees. Im hoping they will shoot up from roots. Do animals still eat fig trees when they are out of dormancy? i thought they latex sap would stop animal from eating them as i never had any animals eat the wood before.
Under the Fig Tree
    Wish list: Buzzone Nero, Asali,White Triana, Sbayi, Succrete, Planera,Nerucciolo d'Elba, LSU figs, Bebera Branca, Black Tuscan and on and on😁😁