Author Topic: Roots all along cutting  (Read 177 times)

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
Roots all along cutting
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
Hello all,

So, have a thick cutting that I had kind of forgotten about because was experimenting with different methods. Was left completely buried in a damp mix of peat, perlite and sand in the back of the shelf in the dark for a few weeks. Took it out today and seems to have rooted along the cutting with one bud.  Donít have the tools to cut in multiples so any advice on how pot this? Thanks!
WL: Yellow Panache, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Popone, Martinenca Rimada, Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
Re: Roots all along cutting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
I personally would let it root longer. If you wanted you could expose the upper portion to air and it will air prune those roots. I would bring the sprouting area "above ground", out of the peat moss too.
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Panache

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:21:55 AM »
Keep the lower two nodes in your mix to promote more roots. I wouldn't add any moisture to the container though.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:30 PM »
 I agree, I would just bury the bottom two nodes. The upper roots will just slowly disappear when exposed to air and light.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 11:42:51 PM »
Keep the lower two nodes in your mix to promote more roots. I wouldn't add any moisture to the container though.

Thanks for the sound advice!
WL: Yellow Panache, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Popone, Martinenca Rimada, Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 11:44:23 PM »
I agree, I would just bury the bottom two nodes. The upper roots will just slowly disappear when exposed to air and light.

Appreciate the words.. learned the unfortunate way of adding water early on, lost a few cuttings in that manner.

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:46:21 PM »

Awesome.. since itís 3:3  and all are in agreement, thatís what Iíll do. Thank you!