Author Topic: Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves  (Read 3021 times)

oheyrachelle

Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves

Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp honey (optional)
1 pound of figs

Step 1. Wash and trim stems from figs
2. Puree figs using a food processor, blender, or immersion blender
3. Add fig puree and all other ingredients into saucepan
4. Begin sterilizing canning jars (add jars to water and bring to boil)
5. Cook over medium high heat, stirring often to prevent burning, cook from 30-50 minutes depending on how thick you'd like your preserves
6. Remove jars from water, place on cooling rack, and begin ladling preserves into jars, make sure lids are tight and secure
7. Carefully lower filled jars into boiling water, allow to process for 15 minutes, remove jars from water and allow to cool on racks

Online LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Re: Simple Small Batch Fig Preserves
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Sounds pretty simple I'm going to have to give it a try thanks very much

Offline Ortegojeffrey

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »
Looks great!

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
I think I might try this recipe next month with my loquats, once they ripen.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Offline ficus_vitae

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
The honey sounds like it would be delicious!

Online opiem10

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
I just made a small batch (2 pounds of figs) using this recipe, my first ever attempt at jarring anything.   The figs in my jam came from my Black Mission and Chicago Hardy trees, giving more of a raspberry color than a honey colored jam.   So easy and very tasty.   The yield was 4 half pint jelly jars.   If I were to make any adjustments next time, I would use only 3/4 of the optional honey. 

After this batch cools, I'll check to make sure all the jars sealed and then try it on some French Toast.  If the jars sealed properly and the jam is usable, pictures will follow of both the jam and the jam on French Toast.
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Online GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
I'm getting hungry.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, LA Green Honey,Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB

Online opiem10

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
I am making my second batch of this fig jam recipe today.   The jam was sooooooo good the first time.   I gave some away to family and used the rest as a spread on French Toast.   Now I hope to take the time to take some pictures this time around and not just rush to the table to eat!   
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Online opiem10

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »
I only had 27 ounces of frozen "Olympia" figs left over from the 2019 season to use in making this batch of jam.   The final product was 3 half pint jelly jars.   I just hope it is enough to get us through to the summer of 2020. 

Here is a picture of the jarred jam.   If you like fig jam, you have to try the recipe in this folder.   It is so easy and the taste is FANTASTIC.   If you have never tried fig jam, you don't know what you are missing.   If my figs produce like last year, I might even have a few giveaways for fresh jarred jam so members can try it. 

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Do you mix fig varieties or only one variety?
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a

Online opiem10

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
Arturo,
     In my first batch this summer, I mixed Chicago Hardy and Black Mission figs.   The resulting jam was more of a reddish, strawberry-like color.   This batch of Olympian figs is more honey colored even though I used half the percentage of honey in this second batch.  Both batches tasted GREAT, a little fruity and smoothly sweet.   I can't wait for next year's harvest to make even bigger batches.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
Thank you sir for answering my question sir.  I canít wait to have enough figs to try this recipe. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red & Praying hands).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 08:34:10 AM »
I dream of opening the case of frozen fruit at the grocery and putting figs in my cart........
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Letís see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...

Ulises

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:41 PM »
oheyrachelle, Thanks for the Recipe, I will try it this summer, seems simple enough.

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
Wow that is a recipe to try.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.