Author Topic: Oh My Fig  (Read 244 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Oh My Fig
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
We have been really watching this one here then came the storm, we really needed another week on this I think.
With all the rain the ground becomes saturated I don't think I was really worried about it splitting too bad with the huge eye that it has but bugs and the ants with the ground being saturated guess where they all climb To.

This fig was not ready to be picked it almost refused to come off the tree, notice the latex on the protective sock it leaked a lot of latex when I prided it off the tree. On the hind site of this I should have probably tried to put another sock and tape around the sock to keep be pests out. But I was worried about it spoiling, exploding, and a combinations with the bugs I made the wrong choice.

But for the good points this fig was under developed and was just starting to filled with syrup, even with the large eye it didn't seem to affect it. This fig was huge as big as a tennis ball and wasn't done yet, a 1 lb Fig not Out Of reach. And as far as the taste and flavor being immature not bad not bad at all, it had a mulberry kind of fruity taste with a little Citrus in it. This is one to look forward to I was in such a hurry that we didn't weigh it a mistake I wish I had not made.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:54:35 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline Draymer

• Welcome !!
Re: Oh My Fig
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:03:26 AM »
What is this ones Name????
Nothing fancy just good figs that do well in the deep south

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
JD,

That is a large fig.  Next time it will be better. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4 variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
But for the good points this fig was under developed and was just starting to filled with syrup, even with the large eye it didn't seem to affect it. This fig was huge as big as a tennis ball and wasn't done yet, a 1 lb Fig not Out Of reach. And as far as the taste and flavor being immature not bad not bad at all, it had a mulberry kind of fruity taste with a little Citrus in it. This is one to look forward to I was in such a hurry that we didn't weigh it a mistake I wish I had not made.

Thats an impressive handfull of fig meat.  I assume there are more figs hanging, you'll get another chance my friend. 
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »
That is a very nice fig.   I see all of your hard work is paying off.  A 1lb fig?  That is a meal!

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »
That looks like a really good gut buster.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, LA Green Honey,Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella

Offline THB1961

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
Where can I get a few cuttings of this fig?
WL:Orphan, Col de Dame Blanca/Negra,  Louisiana Lightning, Cajun Gold, LSU Red, EXP-24
Yellow Longneck,  Black Ishia,  Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Emalyns purple, Pink Jerusalem, Stellato,  Ponte Tresa,  Afghan-E, Edith`s Raspberry Jam,