Author Topic: Chipmunk Sighting  (Read 191 times)

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
Chipmunk Sighting
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
Today I had my first sighting of a chipmunk in my backyard on my concrete patio after 20+ years in my current house.  A few years ago I saw one in the front yard and never saw one again until today.  I wasn't too upset back then as I didn't have anything to lose, but now I have figs growing in the back.  I told my better half I want a cat and a dog was offered instead.  Dogs don't eat chipmunks so that is not going to help and I have a 13 y/o one who is on her last leg due to old age.

I would like to know if they can climb fences or trees like a squirrel. Will they eat figs or citrus?  I have no experience with them other than seeing them at my grandmother's house in Ohio back in the 60's. I think they are cute, but NOT IN MY BACKYARD when I am growing vegetables and fruit.  Should I buy mouse traps? Are they strong enough? Recommendations on what to do would be appreciated.
WL: Eastchester Black Unk, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini,  Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
Re: Chipmunk Sighting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 01:28:00 PM »
Today I had my first sighting of a chipmunk in my backyard on my concrete patio after 20+ years in my current house.  A few years ago I saw one in the front yard and never saw one again until today.  I wasn't too upset back then as I didn't have anything to lose, but now I have figs growing in the back.  I told my better half I want a cat and a dog was offered instead.  Dogs don't eat chipmunks so that is not going to help and I have a 13 y/o one who is on her last leg due to old age.

I would like to know if they can climb fences or trees like a squirrel. Will they eat figs or citrus?  I have no experience with them other than seeing them at my grandmother's house in Ohio back in the 60's. I think they are cute, but NOT IN MY BACKYARD when I am growing vegetables and fruit.  Should I buy mouse traps? Are they strong enough? Recommendations on what to do would be appreciated.

Yes they climb and your figs and other fruits wil be an irresistable temptation.  Once they discover the food source they will return time and time again in broad daylight. 

We use these for rodent control  http://www.ruggedranch.net/traps.html
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »
When I was growing up, my father referred to them as "rats with stripes".  They can decimate any crops. 
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, LA Green Honey,Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella

Offline opiem10

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »
I just saw my first chipmunk of the year.  I hope my next sighting is of a hawk transporting that chipmunk back to its nest.

like Rudy, I hadn't seen a chipmunk on my property for 20 years.   Last year was the first time and I attribute their sightings to two oak trees that are now producing a good number of acorns.   I hope it is not my figs attracting them.
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
I have seen a hawk carry a baby bird in its talons as it flew across my car's windshield one day on the way to work.  The bird was screaming and I will never forget it. I realize that is how nature is, but it's so hard to see it actually happen.
WL: Eastchester Black Unk, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini,  Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1

Offline opiem10

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
Rudy,
     I have seen hawks fly away with squirrels, attack other birds by flying them into the side of my house, but the one that was hard to witness was a small pack of coyotes take down a small deer in my neighbor's yard.   Talk about an animal screaming!  Nature is brutal.

I live in suburban NJ, so the coyote attack was really unexpected.   Since then, I have had two other coyote sightings in my yard and am very careful with my two small dogs.
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black