Author Topic: Please allow me to introduce myself  (Read 259 times)

Offline Hammy

• Welcome !!
Please allow me to introduce myself
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
Hello from north central Texas,

I bought my first fig tree online this spring, a Black Jack. Did a little research on Youtube to find out how to care for my new tree and discovered you can actually grow them from sticks! Fast forward to today and now I have over 30 varieties mostly grown from cuttings. I've had a pretty good success rate thanks in large part to the knowledgeable people here. Below is a list of what I have growing. Oh, I have never eaten a fresh fig, it's going to be either a Negronne or a Black Jack fig that I will get to eat this year. Hopefully.

Ronde de Bordeaux
Long Yellow
Brooklyn Dark
Violette de Bordeaux
Jurupa
Martins Black
LSU Scotts Black
Lattarula
Texas Everbearing
Dattato (Kadota)
LSU Purple
Pastillier
Bordissot Blanca Negra
Negronne
Black Jack
Texas Everbearing
Brown Turkey
Cherry Bourbon
Chicago Hardy
Olympian
Lattarula
Desert King
Beers Black
Kadato
Magnolia
Black mission
Conadria
Chicago Hardy
Strawberry Verte
Sangue Dolce
CDDB

Wishlist: Golden Riverside, I-258, Hâtive d’Argenteuil, Thermalito, Black Madeira, Smith.

Offline ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
Re: Please allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
Welcome to the group Hammy.  It looks like the fig bug bit you hard.   Nice looking trees and hope continued success.  There are lots of knowledgeable people here. 

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »
Hammy,

Love the name.  Welcome to Southern Figs.  You have a nice connection started there.  If you have any questions please ask, we have some very knowledgeable and generous members.  Wish you the best of luck with your new trees and any that you get in the future. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4’ variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
Welcome aboard Hammy. Looks like you have a tasty addiction started there! We do a lot of giveaways here as well as trading, so with a bit of care and planning, your fig orchard can grow rapidly without having to spend a bunch of cash. Make sure you read the rules and keep your address and wishlist up-to-date. And while you're at it, read the old posts. There is a ton of valuable info there.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Offline Jtv32438

• Figaholics unite!!! Lol
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »
Hello and welcome
Wish list. white AL or Ga ,Smith ,Lounge D’Aout any striped fig, any type of LSU ,GOta del Mel , Any strawberry or honey fig.
Non fig: any type of banana,persimmon,or fly trap. Thanks James

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
Welcome Hammy,
What a very nice start to your collection.  And when I say start, I don't mean to indicate any type of addiction that the rest of us may have!!!
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »
Hi and welcome to the obsession
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline Ferg795

• Welcome !!
    • Wesley
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
Hello and Welcome.
Wish list:  LSU red, LSU DC-7, LSU Hollier, Panache, LSU Tiger, White Triana, LSU Black LSU Scott Yellow, Louisiana Lightning, LSU Hollier and White Adriatile.

Offline MichaelR

• Hello!!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »
Welcome! Nice looking trees! Keep an eye on the soil in those fabric pots, those tend to dry out quicker than other pots in our Texas heat, but looks like you're doing a great job so far.
From Austin, TX 8B. Super excited about figs!

Wishlist: JD's LSU Red, LSU Jack Lily, LSU St. Gabriel, Blue Celeste, Black Celeste, Cajun Honey, TX BA-1, Pellegrino, Buzzone Nero, Pissaluto, Zaffiro, persistant caprifigs, any favorite unknowns or heirlooms

Offline Hammy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
Thank you!
Wishlist: Golden Riverside, I-258, Hâtive d’Argenteuil, Thermalito, Black Madeira, Smith.

Offline Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »
I had my first Black Jack fig last year and really, really liked it.  This year it is producing more figs than last and I cannot wait to pick them.  I already have a cover on it already so the wildlife doesn't beat me to them. lol
WL: Eastchester Black Unk, Louisiana Lightening, Black Bethlehem, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic,Yellow Long Neck, BB 10, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman, Kesarsini,  Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1