Author Topic: Spotted Wing Drosophila  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
Spotted Wing Drosophila
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:01:20 AM »
Watch out for this horrible insect!  We all need to be warned that the average fig hobby farmer will not know about this insect which can totally ruin fruit on trees!

http://fruit.cornell.edu/spottedwing/

This is an Asian Fruitfly...... nightmare in waiting..... be proactive and beware of plants, fruits and items brought from areas where it is infested~!

To all my fig friends and fellow fig lovers,

Ms. Figgy

Offline ficus_vitae

Re: Spotted Wing Drosophila
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
Iím saddened to report that I found an SWD today in my beautiful raspberries.
I removed all unripe raspberries and covered all of my figlets with organza bags.
Such a horrible day.
:(

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »
We are so sorry to hear that you may need to start spraying every 3 days and watch what's leaving your area we know these insects can be very devastating two other areas and thank you very much for posting

Offline ficus_vitae

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
Definitely removing all Figs before shipping.

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
OH NO!!!

I would also dip the plants as a extra treatment to make sure nothing is in the soil!!

HUGS!!!

Ms. Figgy

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
In my honest opinion this is how viruses and things like this get started.  By an individual or a party smuggling something into this country and not quarantine in it and making sure but the plant isn't carrying anything. If this was me I would contact my County agent and get them involved to get your property cleared. And these states they had a lot of quarantine areas that's how bad the infestation in these areas is. Reason for the quarantine is to stop what shouldn't even be here in the United States chances are it could greatly affect the food belts here in America the Citrus grape Vineyards etc etc etc. Which reduces the crops and has inflation prices at the stores and could wipe out some fruit crops. The second point would be liability that's why I would involve the county agent and get my property clear. The agriculture Department of the United States and the agriculture departments of other states would probably pursue anybody knowing that they spread this into their states so the legal liability just doesn't stop in the state in which is in quarantine. Like the old saying goes you can't fight the government. I would cover my assets over making a few dollars and follow their regulation and advice and you also have documentation in compliance

Offline ficus_vitae

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
Youíre totally right. My first call was to my PA Dept of Ag agent, Sarah Gettys.
Her instructions were to not ship any plants with the fruit on them, and shake off any potential hitchhikers.
Iím going to get info out to all my neighbors about SWD and spotted lanternfly. Hopefully, theyíll clean up all their areas and go to the measures I have.