Author Topic: Did you know this  (Read 4451 times)

megojoe

Did you know this
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »
Steve here,

Did you know it got so hot in the south that most fig tree brund their leaves and fall off the tree and also stopped some growth
but you have them growing new leaves now and starting to grow again. Yea !!!

Never pinch off the growth bar on top when it is supper hot because the tree need all it got to deal with the heat , only  do it very early in spring.

what you think about that!  :o

Steve

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
  • Bless others with FIGS!
Re: Did you know this
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
Sounds pretty darn smart to me Steve....!

Ms. Figgy
Wish list: White Madeira #1, Unk Pastiliere, Cravens Cravings, LSU Strawberry, Dannys Delight, Emalynís Purple, Yellow Longneck, Peters Honey, Col Littmans Black Cross, Green Michurinska, Cool Hybrids, Impellezeri, Sangue Dolce, 5 Terre A

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »
I didn't know dat. thanks for sharing. Oh, please don't forget about this page, Give us more, Steve
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
I never liked to top any of my plants whether itís a pepper plant or a fig tree.  Now that I read this, I will never pinch nor top my plants. 

Thanks Steve
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
I do top pepper plants and some other plants as well. It encourages branching and more fruit,
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline poohbear796

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
Good to know!  I hope you continue to share more! Thank you!👍

Online GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 05:14:35 AM »
Good info!  Maybe we should start a sticky of Fig tree tips.  It would be a good place to get quick info for better success.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, LA Green Honey,Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
I have heard on both sides regarding pinching or not. So fo purposes of shaping, so you would have a very low branching tree (which shades the trunk in AZ from sunburn) do you recommend dormant tree trimming vs pinching?
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Online GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks Steve.

This is info I wish I knew in August.  :-)

Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDR, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, Louisiana Lightning, Luv, LA Green Honey,Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella

Offline azgrown

• Hello
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »
Great Info! Thank you!
Zone 9b Arizona
Wish List:  I-258, Figo preto, white Bronx, Martinenca Ramad, LSU RED.

Offline Newbie2figs

• Love fruit trees!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 11:38:25 PM »
That's exactly what happened to mine Steve, I always wondered why they do that, so how do we stopped it foe. Next year? Do I put them in drip irrigation  ?
Mario
Zone 9a Tx
Wishlist:,CALDERONA,Azores dark,Black Tuscan, Thermilito,Mutante and crazy for stripped figs

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 02:53:43 AM »
Good information.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »

Never pinch off the growth bar on top when it is supper hot because the tree need all it got to deal with the heat , only  do it very early in spring.

I had not even thought about that. Thanks for the pointer. Question, what if the plants are kept in a shaded area where the temp is much lower? Would that make a difference in when to pinch? We sometimes get temps in the 80's and 90's but in the shade it could as low as 75.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »

I had not even thought about that. Thanks for the pointer. Question, what if the plants are kept in a shaded area where the temp is much lower? Would that make a difference in when to pinch? We sometimes get temps in the 80's and 90's but in the shade it could as low as 75.
I would use common sense you know your trees best when they're pushing and growing and struggling fig trees will adapt to different growing zones and climates but heat is the worst

Offline LulaLeyNC

• Imagine
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »

I would use common sense you know your trees best when they're pushing and growing and struggling fig trees will adapt to different growing zones and climates but heat is the worst
Hmmm, guess Iíll have to rethink that hot afternoon sun corner for my, with luck, brand new rooted cuttings in the spring. So much to learn.......
7a Wish list
Yummy varieties that can take mountain summer humidity better than I can. 🙄 Will container grow. Letís see, a Kadota in memory of my crazy Mom, who loved them (canned). Conadria, Buzzone Nero, Hollier, Smith, I-258, Fico Nero, Brooklyn White,...