Author Topic: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Problem  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Ms Figgy

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Problem
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »
To All,

A species of stink bug which resembles normal stink bugs but is recognizable by the white lines on its antennae is invading the USA and can wipe out fruit crops.  Management is important so we hope that you will be on the lookout for these bugs and kill on sight!

It is not advisable to spray with chemicals, but they converge and can be easily killed if you watch for their congregating behaviors.  More can be seen about this problem online...

Please be advised!

All the best,

Ms. Figgy

Offline ficus_vitae

Re: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
Another problem we have here in PA now. They do congregate and bother our apple and peach growers. I have friends within fifteen minutes of us who keep a separate stink bug shop vac for sucking them up. We, on the other hand, rarely see more than a dozen per year. So far, they are not a nuisance to me.

Obviously, one does not wish for them to spread, but they arenít nearly as worrisome to me as SWD or SLF. :(

Offline Ms Figgy

Re: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
To All,

I have been amazed how many of the Marmorated Stink Bugs are around here....(I had never noticed that we had them here) and of course I squish any I see.... but the very fact that people do not recognize these stink bugs which can cause problems in orchards, is the issue....!  The more we learn about the possible problems lurking about, the easier to avoid bigger problems!  Many fungal diseases were preventable with proper treatment, and recognizing the disease in trees before it spreads is the best plan!  And I agree that a good vacuum for stink bugs is a great solution!

All the best,

Ms. Figgy