Author Topic: Maltese Falcon  (Read 368 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Maltese Falcon
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
Dynamite awesome tasting fig

Offline September

Re: Maltese Falcon
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
I have heard that Maltese Beauty tastes better than Maltese Falcon. What’s your opinion?

September

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
In my honest opinion I think a lot of it depends on where you're located at and you're growing season and the substrate they're planted in. But I believe if you took five figs each of these varieties put one on a plate and blindfolded 5 people and have them taste them I don't believe that four out of five could pick the right Fig naturally the figs should have to be dry down to the same consistency for the texture and growing conditions.

Offline Ortegojeffrey

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:03:46 AM »
Hey Mojo, do you think this fig is similar to BB10 in some aspects?

Offline megojoe

• Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
    • Hostminis.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:20:14 AM »
Steve here,

Ah the BB10 is this the fig that somebody's friends buddy's wife's cousin found and name it the BB10 ?
10 for the best tasting Fig around

Hey you never know it maybe the same fig as the (Maltese Falcon) and they rename it to make more money hum! :-\

Maybe not

Steve

P.S. looks the be a good tasting fig thu

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:22:16 AM by megojoe »

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Let me make a point this variety was found here in Louisiana so I'm not going to let this be similar to another fig or have people impose that it could be the same. Dan found this and held it pretty tight so there were only about three people that had this then came four. So the people that bought cuttings and all this year last year and going in this year if they were able  to get figs they were very young very young trees that haven't matured yet so they're not going to experience the real flavor that this fig has. So if they like this fig that much being immature tree just think what they're going to do whenever tree matures they'll go crazy. And I'm going to make a little note if it wasn't for different leaves and if all the figs taste alike what will be the sense in these people collecting these things and paying all this big money for a new variety ? ? Just food for thought

Online wellingtonbill

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Maltese Falcon was my biggest teaser for a long time.  Ebay - many moons ago - sold Maltese Falcons for mega-bucks.  I would bid up to $40 and the little Maltese Falcon trees would go for upwards of $75 dollars.  I gave up until I found fig collector friends - and low and behold I finally got me a Maltese Falcon three years ago.  The past two years I have reaped a harvest of one perfect fig off the little three year old tree - slowwww grower for me compared to the rest of the fig herd I tend to.  This being shared - hoping not to have bored you all - my Maltese Falcon (from a reputable source) fig looks much like the ones pictured above - except mine are more long than round.  I like the taste a lot.  Some figsters share that the Maltese Falcon is not a top fig - I agree with JD.  The three foot twin truck tree gets up potted again in early spring - and I am going to stick more phosphorus to it too.
William "Bill" W. Snotherly, Jr.