Author Topic: Ben's Golden Riverside  (Read 339 times)

Offline Nunuorig

• Welcome !!
Ben's Golden Riverside
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have Ben's Golden Riverside?  There are 2 Golden Riversides floating around.  However, I'm really trying to get my hands on Ben's version.

Best,
Mike

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: Ben's Golden Riverside
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
I have golden Riverside from Davis and am very unaware Ben's golden Riverside. I think everyone needs to be aware of figs grow differently in different growing conditions different zones they grow different from being in a pot versus in the ground. I don't believe in the hype that people create this is why there's so many strained so-called strains or versions of one fig. One example the LSU gold is considered to be a yellow fig here it is gold on the main crop a beautiful bronze color so if someone wants to look at a photo of it they would say all there's no way that's a gold from LSU I would ask when it comes down to this what makes it different between Ben's version versus KK's version okay is it really a different variety or LED to be so just fig for thought

Offline fettuccine

• Hiyo!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
@louisianamojo The person that made the community aware of the other Golden Riverside, Ben, wrote down the story on his blog. He purchased the tree from a random fig grower near the area who couldn’t find an ID for his backyard fig and UCD’s Golden Riverside looked the closest in appearance. So Ben received it as Golden Riverside even though it’s not the correct cultivar. He kept the Golden Riverside name incase other people out there are still buying that man’s “Golden Riverside” 
WL: Cavaliere, Pastiliere, Bourjasotte Grise, Genovese Nero AF, Negretta, Drap D’Or, true LSU O’Rourke, Atreano OR, Bi-39, Sweetheart

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
 I'm going to reply to this very carefully. The original Variety  Golden Riverside came from UC Davis. It was named golden Riverside by John Verdict that formed the F4F fig forum the reason behind this John could not sell this as the names or control numbers that were assigned by UC Davis. this is why he assigned the name to that control number. Which he was correct in doing because UC Davis is a non-profit organization that gets Federal money so they don't sell cuttings they give him away for free. There are a few people that's sold cuttings and plants underneath the assigned numbers by UC Davis that have got in trouble because of this. Now I know Ben and consider him to be a friend and fellow fig enthusiast And from what I gather from the story Ben traveled from Washington to California and acquired this from a fig grower in California. So I believe the ethical thing to do in this case would have been to identify the grower in this case and the Fig would have been unknown blank blank. This way you are identifying where it came from because someone else can go to the same  grower there in California and get the same variety and put a different name on it. This is how multiple names and confusion get started and one example I will give you is Dan's LSU candy fig. while the percentage of it being a LSU is very high there is no proof that it is and labeling it with the name LSU is a very big No-No they can take legal action against him. LSU the only one that can assign that title because they are the only ones that have the documented proof that it is. LSU and Doctor Ed O'Rourke Outsource a lot of figs to nurseries and there are a lot of them plus some of them were given to private individuals. So the comparison here is I could very well have that fig and other Nursery or other private individuals could very well have that same fig so if we all assigned different names to the same fig this is where a lot of confusion comes in this is the point that I am trying to stress to+ the Fig community
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:44:40 AM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline fettuccine

• Hiyo!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Mojo. I hadn’t known that about the UCD numbers being an issue when doing business with their cuttings. I see what you mean about the naming. At first I thought the best way to keep it simple would be to keep the name it was first given by the introducer or source and that way we’d know where the original source came from regardless of how many clones have been made from it. But you’re right that any person can take a tree or cutting and change the name at anytime so that type of honor system isn’t going to work sadly :( I would prefer figs to be named how you mentioned it “unknown (grower’s name).” Even attaching name’s initials helps alot to clear a bit of the confusion.

When I first developed an interest in figs, I wanted to be extra picky and careful of what varieties I get to reduce amount of wasted time growing in the future. I ended up putting together most of the info I came across and there are a few figs out there with the same names but likely different figs. It’s crazy!
WL: Cavaliere, Pastiliere, Bourjasotte Grise, Genovese Nero AF, Negretta, Drap D’Or, true LSU O’Rourke, Atreano OR, Bi-39, Sweetheart