Author Topic: Growing Bananas in the South  (Read 1145 times)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Growing Bananas in the South
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »
I was sitting here drinking coffee all wrap up and looking at some photos files and seen these just looking at them and thinking of the new crop started to warm me up inside. I think it's amazing how looking at summer photos warms you up so take a look at some of these I grow.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Bananas in the South
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
A few more

Offline Efficial

• I love growing all manner of garden/orchard edible
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
WOW those look great! what variety are they? I am growing blue Java in Zone 8A.
Looking for LSU Champagne, LSU Scotts Yellow, and other LSU varieties.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:02 PM »
I am also trying to grow bananas.  I got 2 different types: I got the regular banana tree that is all over which some people call it the cooking banana and the ice cream banana.  I just planted them last year so I have not had a chance to get any bananas yet.  The ice cream banana tree is like 16 feet tall while the other one is around 10 feet.  I only have a pic of the ice cream one that I took about 3 months ago.
WL:  Marseilles Black, Panache Tiger, Italian 258 and Dall Oso

Offline ddavis

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
I am so jealous!  I wish I could grow bananas!
It was less than a year ago that I learned that certain fig varieties might be feasible on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and am now growing container figs in hopes that I can obtain the fruit (it's simply not available here; I've only had the pleasure of fresh figs once in my life).  If I am successful, I will definitely start branching out - but probably not to bananas!

Offline LaFigGwr2019

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »
DDavis,

I am in no means trying to convince you to grow anything but they have dwarf banana trees which can be kept in containers so to bring in doors when weather gets too cold. Once I get going with what I have I have being thinking of getting me one just to see how it does.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »
Yes sir there are some dwarf banana plants that produce bananas that can grow in a container. A couple of them are the super dwarf and that double Mahoi. In growing we consider what they called the growing cycle or the maturity date of a certain variety of bananas. And that is the mature height of a plant or how many leaves it is put out to support the bloom and the stem of bananas. As a plant matures the top canopy the leaves start the twist an interlock to support the weight of the fruit a super drawer is only 3 and 1/2 to 4 ft tall at maturity and produces a respectable size and bunch of bananas. I have a sister in Missouri that take the pups in the fall off the tree grows in containers all winter and then when the weather is right so she will put them in the ground then Finish maturing and getting bananas and going to the year she'll take the pups off for next year's Harvest

Offline LaFigGwr2019

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Mojo,

This is my first year growing a lot of things so I have being doing a lot of research(reading) and I have come across different answer to a question: do I cut the banana stack while itís green or wait till they are ripe?  I have seen both answers.  I was going to wait but I have being noticing that you have lots of knowledge and experience with plants so I figure I would ask you.

Offline ddavis

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
DDavis,

I am in no means trying to convince you to grow anything but they have dwarf banana trees which can be kept in containers so to bring in doors when weather gets too cold. Once I get going with what I have I have being thinking of getting me one just to see how it does.

I'll have to look into that!  I hadn't realized that there were banana trees that were small enough to fit indoors!  Thanks for letting me know.

-Deb

Offline LaFigGwr2019

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:59:23 AM »
Deb,

Wish I had more information but I just started out myself.  I wish you the best of luck.  If I do get a dwarf I will post here.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
After your bananas mature to full size you can cut the stem and hang them they will slowly ripen with time. I usually have bananas all the way through the winter. When bananas are shipped over here they are green that actually applying a gas to start the ripening process. If you leave them on the tree they tend to start writing all at once so at the first sign like the ones I showed them photo you'll see a couple yellow bananas I cut the stem so they slowly ripen does it affect the taste. I will also try to post some of the dwarf bananas later this week

Offline ddavis

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 01:07:49 PM »
Interesting...  I look forward to seeing more about these dwarf bananas, especially those grown in containers.  I can see my daughter's eyes rolling already, but I'm intrigued!

Offline LaFigGwr2019

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »
Mojo,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I looked it up and I found different articles stating that I should cut it and let it rippen by hanging it and some saying that I should wait cause the banana would taste that much better.   Honestly I was going to do both and see which way was better for me.  I never read anything about them ripening slower or quicker.  That definitely is a factor.