Author Topic: Lots and lots of free stuff coming your way  (Read 1511 times)

Ferg795 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Lots and lots of free stuff coming your way
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
FUTURE NEWS:  As this forum starts to develop and as the membership of this forum starts growing we will be giving away a free fig tree and/or cuttings once a month. The fig tree will be given from a winner of a raffle with all the members names in it..... I would also like some input from our forum members on what varieties of fig trees that you, the membership, are interested in so we can also plan and also so we will be able to supply some free cuttings to lucky winners in the forum!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:18:52 AM by Ms Figgy »

Offline megojoe

• Figs are for Fun and Eating!!
    • Hostminis.com
Re: Lots and lots of free stuff coming your way
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »
Steve here

I want some Free Stuff. ;J D

I can't wait tell you get your forum going A++
if you need help with it let me know.

Steve
Keep up the good work
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:11:39 PM by LouisianaMojo »

Offline TangoDoc

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:15:00 AM »
I'm always delighted to get any free stuff, unless it's a lunch that comes with some unexpected price! I am in the UK and am happy to go on record as one who already has a few small plants propagated from my own stock that I would gladly swap or even contribute to a good cause within the UK. The more we share, the better we grow.
For myself, I am looking for a variety that produces really small figs so that I can make jars of marinated mini figs exactly like the ones I now buy from Baytree or ingredients4chefs. I understand they grow in Spain, though I have never found such a tree.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
  First of all welcome to the forum and I would go and look up the grower/manufacturer of the product you have and make inquiries of that grower or seller, and also lets ask members on the forum as well, to find out what kind of fig that is and maybe we all here to help you
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:21:45 AM by Ms Figgy »

Offline Gal2garden

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
Hi all
I would love to see more cold Hardy varieties that can grow in ground in zone 7.
I have a couple but I know there's many more out there. I'm getting older and can't keep dragging pots in the house to save the non cold Hardy ones.
I'm excited to be on this site!

Offline Ms Figgy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
Hi!  There is a lot of information on cold hardy figs!  Just GOOGLE that topic and you will find lists of Mt. Etnas, etc.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:45:09 PM by Ms Figgy »

Online wellingtonbill

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
JD, your heart is bigger than all outdoors.  Free stuff, geesh, your free advice is just as welcomed and appreciated. 
William "Bill" W. Snotherly, Jr.

Offline LV Garden Show

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
Awesome cant wait for some cool stuff.

Offline LV Garden Show

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
Cool!!!

Offline Nunuorig

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
Very fun!

Offline milmofigs

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 05:38:02 AM »
Awesome, free fig cuttings are always welcome.
I'm interested in topics such as micropropagation of figs, fig improvement, cultivation and maintenance.
As far as varieties, I'm really looking forward to adding Cole de Dame's and the Black / White Madeiras to my small but growing collection.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Sounds very interesting do you have any experiments or any knowledge in these fields of Interest and sounds like you need to go Post in Louisiana backyard scientist where we have common interest in these fields. And you need to private message me your shipping address

Offline milmofigs

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
I have a background in mushroom growing which has given me a good grasp on septic technique necessary for tissue culture...
I've yet to practice cloning plant tissue but plan to do so soon. I'm gonna start with cactus pads; these are an other species of plant which have peaked my interest as of late. Afterwards, I plan to start practicing on figs.

I've never done plant improvement either but I'm looking forward on learning the techniques used to improve plants; particularly figs and Opuntia cactus for now. I do know the common denominator is hard work and patience as with all things bio.

I'll head over to the Louisiana backyard scientist section of the forum and post there.

My PM don't seem to be working for me at all, the messages aren't being sent but I've sent you my post address through the chat feature.

Offline ary4ever

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
Hello. Great News!!
Like the forum so far. Its impressive to find out there is a big community of fig lovers.
I'm fairly new to figs so my knowledge of varieties come from online research solely.
I have seen alot of interest to the following varieties ( Smith, RDB, VDB, Azores Dark, I258, BM)
Let me know which one of these does well in California or if there are others that may do better in CA climate. Thanks
Local nurseries only carry the following varieties ( panache, black mission, kadota, brown turkey, dessert King)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
I received your p.m. and will help you out with part of that