Author Topic: When is it safe to transplant rooted cuttings to a larger pot  (Read 725 times)

Offline lewmorski

• Welcome !!
Any recommendations on when to up pot a cutting that has sprouted leaves?  Any advice is appreciated!
wish list:  Rigato del Salento, Violet de Sollis,
Bordissot negra blanca, col de dame rimada, Black Zadar, Sao Miguel Roxo, Francazzo rigato, Izbat an Naj, red lebanese bekaa valley, Smith, Sangue Dolce, Genovese Nero AF , Black Madeira, Negronne

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: When is it safe to transplant rooted cuttings to a larger pot
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
You want to wait or make sure that the root system is very well structure and trying to come out the drain holes of your pot. In the case of a fig pop you want to make sure that bag is really heavy with roots be careful trying not to disturb the root system when cutting the bag away. Another point I'd like to make is when you get new trees in give him 30 days to adjust 2 your new climate also make sure the roots are protruding from the bottom of the pot before repotting you're nearly trees won't stress as much and take right off for you

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
I can tell you what I did when I got mine.  I rooted the cutting in a 1 gal pot.  From there I waited till I saw roots coming out the bottom.  Everything that I have read suggested I wait till then and I did, now my stick is nearly 6 feet tall and has around 10 branches.  I went from the 1 gal to the ground.   I want to wish you the best of luck and if you have any other questions just ask. 
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith and Dall Oso

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
I was wondering about when to up pot too. I have a few in 1 gal pots and some are close to 18 inches tall and I am very happy they are thriving. So I should wait until roots come out of the bottom before even considering u potting them?! Sounds like I have plenty time to practice patience.
want list: Bass's Favorite, BNR, UCR 160-50, Sicilian Black (Belleclare #39), Paratjal Rimada, Thermalito, Genovese Nero AF, Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, Burgan unk.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
Yes this is a pretty good rule to follow so you don't damage the roots

Offline Casey

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
What do you use for a potting mixture for the cuttings?
Casey
WL: Any short season cultivars?

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »
Casey,

Do you mean to start cuttings to root or for transplanting cuttings that already have roots?
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith and Dall Oso

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Casey

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 11:37:40 PM »
I was talking about what to start the cuttings to root in. I used rooting powder and a seed starting mixture on my first try, and about 8 out of 12 rooted.
Casey

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Your doing better then I am but I mainly use a potting mixture.  Nothing special. 

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Casey

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
I think it was some serious beginners luck on my end... they all seem to be doing well, with the exception of one that was uprooted by a mischievous little chipmunk.
Casey

Online figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »
I understand the need to keep the roots undisturbed, but what I don't quite understand is why people slowly up pot from small to large pots. It seems no different to me than taking a rooted cutting and sticking it in a 10 gallon pot or larger than planting it in the ground. I would think the less times you disturb the root structure the better. Am I doing wrong by sticking my starts in large pots right away?
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 07:40:00 PM »
I've attached another photo so you can see that this cutting is what you might call Root bound. This is a one quart growing container which was transferred to a one gallon growing container. The root system senses new soil around it so it immediately starts to send and regrow feeder Roots which only takes a few days.

You may go and research rooting pots the principal with this is roots start to exit through the holes and get sunburned and are burnt and and kills the ends of the roots the plant automatically starts to regrow feeder roots to replace what had died. Google rooting pots or rooting containers they actually have holes in the sides of the containers.

With my technique you go from a quart to gallon to 2 gallons to 3 gallons to 5 gallons and so on. And what this does is make the tree have growing spurts much like citrus do every time the plant is repotted
it since its new soil nutrients it automatically starts to regrow and send out feeder roots to go seek out new nutrients and moisture which doesn't take long for your rooting system to fill that in and overtake your substrate or potting mix. The end result is you get a lot more growth in a year and a better plant.

The cons to just putting it into a large container and forgetting about it. You have a lot of extra soil which stays wet that the plant isn't going to use you'll leech nutrients out of it and you could possibly get root rot.
Roots tend to follow the pot to the sides and down and out of the drain holes the quicker they hit the sides and hit down the more they expand with her feeder roots to fill in looking for nutrients therefore more roots in a thicker root basin.
A tree is always going to build a root Basin before it starts to grow and develop its upper trunk and branches it needs a good foundation to support the tree. We have researched this One point with new seedlings some we used my system others we potted in big containers others we just left them in a gallon pot.

Up potting has w o n hands down no comparison with the growth Steve has experienced this a few times on his trees why isn't my tree growing? And the thought of the day we would have you think about you're rooting a cutting your wanting it to grow so just like a child if you feed it take care of it you're going to have to turn around and buy a new pair of pants every so often because it's going to outgrow them or I guess you could be lazy and bye something he's not going to wear until College and let them grow into them. You may have saved some money and time but the results are definitely going to be different.

Online figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 12:42:08 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, JD. That makes a great deal of sense.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 LSU Red, #4 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow Black #5-Black Madiera/Madiera Island black.