Author Topic: Frustrating figuring out what figs do well in my climate  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Undead Fruit N.GA

• Keep the fruit trees alive!
Frustrating figuring out what figs do well in my climate
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »
I don't think there is a magic method, of telling exactly what figs varieties will be Hardy and produce well short of experience.
We mostly talk in terms of USDA climate zone, but I have live in roughly Zone 7 in Texas, in Western Washington state, in North Carolina Piedmont, and Now the Hills of North Georgia.
IF you look at the UGA (University of Georgia) website for recommendations for figs for NW Georgia. (where I live.) They stop at Hardy Chicago and Brown Turkey.
(none of the very hardy Bulgarian types or others mentioned. I know from experience that at least some others do fine, but finding them is a challenge.
The USDA Zones are determined by lowest average temperature you get to. (not how often you get close, not how late you have hard freezes after 80 degree days. and Certainly not heat day considerations.)
In Texas we typically had about 30 days over 100 Degrees. In Washington state, we had 11 days over 85 degrees. (you should have seen the pathetic little tomato plants I grew there.)
In NC the weather was not as changeable as TX, but snow did come in both October and March in the five years I lived there and typically we had just a few days over 100.
Here in Georgia, we probable get over 100 about 2 days a year.

I don't want to do the pot shuffle.
I see guys on other forums in NJ and PA that are also Zone 7.
Any hints?
Obviously most figs like heat, and don't like cold. But what can we get away with for different varieties?
Zone 7 north georgia hills between Chattanooga and Atlanta.  Wish list cold hardies!:
 Violette de Sollies, Bayernfeige violetta, Ciliegia Dolce, Desert King
Hollier,O'Rourk, I-258

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Frustrating figuring out what figs do well in my climate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
Have you looked at the Olympian or Desert King fig?   I have looked at those a couple of times
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Undead Fruit N.GA

• Keep the fruit trees alive!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.
I got a baby Olympian from wellspring some day, I assume it will bear someday.
I would like Florea, violletta solleis?.
I will put desert king on my list!
Zone 7 north georgia hills between Chattanooga and Atlanta.  Wish list cold hardies!:
 Violette de Sollies, Bayernfeige violetta, Ciliegia Dolce, Desert King
Hollier,O'Rourk, I-258

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
Keep us informed.  I would like to see what the Olympian looks and tastes like
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:19:18 AM »
I live in zone 8A, so not quite as cold, but we do get snow and temps in the low 20's. I've seen Desert King and Latarulla trees growing here in town. We have a short season and they both have a nice breba crop. I just picked up a Longue D' Aout, which I've read is the same as Nordland, a cold hardy variety. We'll see how it does. I also have a young Chicago hardy. Not the rarest of trees, but from what I've read, great for cold areas. I'd like to see what others recommend to you, as I'm looking for similar cold hardy varieties as well.
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow, #4 Black Madiera/Madiera Island black, #5-Smith.

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
Hey is a site with 10+ varieites that are good in your zone, Most won't ship to me in AZ, however!!!!!

https://www.almostedenplants.com/shopping/products/c71-all-fig-varieties/?page=2
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Pastiliere, Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, White Bronx

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
Iím in zone 7a which is more like 6b and I would go with RDB or a VDB , negronne for dark and bataglia green or green Ischia for green, I grow mainly in pots and have some in the ground, I try to look for early ripiening figs , I also have a few unks  that start to ripen for me towards the end of July and pretty continue to end of October and into November, although this year everything  seems delayed by at least 2 to 3 weeks .
With some finesse you can also grow Black Madeira and Figo Preto but they need a lot more heat and are very late to ripen, so you wonít get many to eat ,but they are very tasty .
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
deerhunter16,

I like the way you think. 

South Louisiana, 9a

Online opiem10

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
Keep us informed.  I would like to see what the Olympian looks and tastes like
I have an Olympian Fig in a 15 gallon pot.   It has a similar growth habit as Chicago Hardy with leaves that are not as thick and with fruit that is formed in slightly less numbers.   It is supposed to be one of the most cold hardy varieties available which is why I bought one for my NJ residence.   However, I don't take chances and I do move the pots into a protected garage for the winter months.  I am sure it would easily survive a Georgia winter with minimal protection.

My first figs are just now ripening on this plant (ants got to a few of the earlier ones) so I can't yet comment on the flavor.   All I can tell you is that the fruit is HUGE!   When they say the figs are the size of tangerines, that is no exaggeration.
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Battaglia Green, Brooklyn White, Marseilles Black VS

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
opiem10,

Thank you for sharing that information.  Do you happen to have any photos of the figs?  I would love to see the size of the fig and the insides. 

I attached a pic of my LSU Gold.  That is one of the figs that grew.  They were huge and sweet

South Louisiana, 9a

Online opiem10

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
I should be able to pick a few of the Olympian figs in a few days as five or so are nearly ripe.   I took some pictures of my tree with near ripe figs as well as smaller fillets on it.   I'll take some pictures of the picked figs in relation to a quarter, with some cut open, and then see if I can post them.   I have never done it before so I will hope for the best.   I'm a bit of a techno-phobe, is if I fail, I'm sure my kids can help me out.   
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Battaglia Green, Brooklyn White, Marseilles Black VS

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
I wish I could locate the video for you. but Ross Raddi had a video where he was visiting a friend who planted many types of figs in an area that yhey perhaps wouldnt do well. His friend planted on berms often with rocks atound to gather/hold heat. He did very well with this. On the other hand, "Yes it Will Grow Here" YouTube video site creates microclimates as well for his tropicals to not only survive but to flourish.  So with all that being said, if you can create a good microclimate you should be able to go any fig you want in most climates. You may just have to be creative in developing the microclimate needed.
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Pastiliere, Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, White Bronx

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
opiem10,

If you need any help with attaching any file just ask, we will help any way possible.  Itís not difficult but still it does happen where things get a little confusing.  I can walk you through it if need be.   

I have being looking at the Olympian and desert king but have not make up my mind on getting them.  I am waiting to see if someone can post photos and tell me how prolific, fast or slow grower, size and taste on fruits and resistance to anything

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »
I had medium size Brown turkey planted in a 18" wide x 16" high planter (it was one yr-old tree at over 3 ft in height with two main trunks that were about 1" thick, propagated from a 2 ft cutting). I left it outside at zone 7b during winter and it died. Just my personal experience.
I have three white Adriatic started from cutting this spring in the same size pot, will let you know the result next year.
Wish list: I-258, Thermalito, WM#1

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
Let me say figs can take a lot of abuse you might think they're dead in their pop back up. The other thing is they will adapt to new environments given time. My advice to you is just try what you want to try and if you don't like it throw it out like an old boyfriend and get a new one.