Author Topic: Warning about the Oro Bianco  (Read 2506 times)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Warning about the Oro Bianco
« on: July 28, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
Here on Southern figs we want to protect our members and fig enthusiast. There has been a lot of controversy on this variety and a few others.

We started growing a lot of these varieties from Italy 3 years ago both in ground and in big growing containers. This variety has failed to produce fruit and drops the figs.

Recently a few people had been attacked on Facebook about reporting these varieties dropping their fruit from the source in Italy. We highly recommend That's you thoroughly check variety's out if the person is not using their own photos that the Fig was produced here in United States there's a very high percentage that it may not produce at all unless you are in a region that has the Fig wasp.

We are now seeing this everywhere that people are trying to sell products that they have not yet produced a fig from. The newest and I'll call it a scam people are looking at what your wish list is on what you're looking for and private message you that they have this available this is even going on Facebook so please be aware of this.

The other thing that I want to make you aware of varieties that are coming into United States that haven't been grown here are not   going to perform the same as the country they came from we see it all the time here and we also see it on photos across the internet.

There are a few people that have invested a lot of money in these varieties and they sure won't mind taking yours. We suggest you keep one hand on your billfold right now when everything comes out of Italy from Francesco Lorusso. We have some samples of this variety we sent to the lab to confirm it's not a common fig. We are also thinking that a lot of them also will not be common figs. We will keep you updated on the outcomes remember patience may you save you anger management classes down the road.

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
Re: Warning about the Oro Bianco
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
Thank you for this warning, JD. Before I joined this forum, I bought some of those sticks too, thinking they are common figs. It's easy for a newbie to be fooled with these sort of things. Plenty of good varieties here in the states that are known to produce excellent figs. No reason to get them from abroad. I thought it was ok because they were on FigBid, but there was no mention on the add that they came from abroad, it just said from the Lorusso collection. Fortunately, they didn't cost me much, but I'm also wondering if these are even legal here in the US. I think the owner of FigBid needs to take responsibility for this scam..
Live and learn...
Want list: #1-Qalaat al Madiq #2- black Zadar, #3 Ben's Golden Riverside/Robert's Golden Rainbow, #4 Black Madiera/Madiera Island black, #5-Smith.

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
My general rule of thumb for scammers - If any item you want to buy is valued at more than $100, it is probably counterfeited, faked, substituted, maliciously misidentified, or hyped by a scammer somewhere, or doesn't really exist, but they will take your payment anyway. The wonder of the internet is that you can find anything you want, if it exists and you have enough money.  The other wonder of the internet is that you can be scammed by someone on the other side of the earth in the blink of an eye.

As Abraham Lincoln once said-  "Never believe everything you read on the internet" 
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 01:28:24 PM »
JD,

Thank you for giving us all the heads up.  Things like this would decrease if more people spoke up about bad dealings.  Stay vigilant everyone. 
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »
I agree.....thanks for the heads up on this fig!
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Pastiliere, Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, White Bronx

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up , was hoping that it was common because itís a nice looking fig, but been hear that itís a disappointment.
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
Here is another variety that dropped its figs today the Plint Nero we had also talked to our friend Ross and he informed me that his had dropped 17 of 20 figs we don't think there's going to be an end to this.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:45:26 PM by LouisianaMojo »

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
We will be posting updates on different varieties that seem to be dropping the figs. Here's a link with some comments on Facebook.  https://m.facebook.com/groups/630420053750386?view=permalink&id=2227722177353491#

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
I got the following message when I tried that link:

Content not found

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Jerry
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
Jerry yes we apologize because a lot of this stuff now has been blocked and or has been deleted off Facebook. But we will keep you informed right here.

The Plint Nero on both of my trees has finished dropping all the figs. I do believe Ross had reported that he only has one or two figs left on his tree the others have all dropped it's looking like this variety will need pollinated also.