Author Topic: New Gota del Mel  (Read 162 times)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
New Gota del Mel
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »
We received this Variety in a trade and been waiting on it for a few years to produce. We notice  it had some figlets on it a while back and I've been kind of watching it.

As the figs progressed and got larger we kept a better eye on it. we notice some color change here early in the week and today notice the birds had already hit it.

I did find this solo fig and was not prepared for the surprise that this variety had for me.
We had Bam we had fireworks an explosion to the taste buds so intense that I actually went and looked the tree over again for another one.

This one here had an intense sweetness to it and a flavor that I yet cannot pin down so definitely require some more testing on this one.

We're going to finish looking this tree over today and probably going to put bird netting around it until I can get a good idea.

Online Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
Re: New Gota del Mel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
 :P :P never heard of it.  It sounds very exciting!!
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black

Offline figWillie

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:29:46 PM »
What a nice surprise! They look really small, I wonder if they'll get bigger as the tree matures. Please keep us updated on this one!
I'm interested in trying some of these popular varieties to see how they do and compare in my area, Smith, Black Madiera, Madiera Island black, Qalaat al Madiq, Ben's Golden Riverside, Robert's Golden Rainbow, black Zadar, or any other awesome fig tree!

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
Wow, looking forward to hearing more reviews on this one
WL:  Marseilles Black, I-258, Smith, Panache Tiger and Dall Oso

Zone 9a South Louisiana