Author Topic: Black Maderia  (Read 178 times)

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
Black Maderia
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »
We are wanting to add another variety to our wish list but not without proper consideration.  The BM seems to be good for our 8B climate.  My question is, are they as good as some say Flavor wise?  Thank you in advise for any shared information..

Wish List:  I-258

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
Re: Black Maderia
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
Better, it’s a top tier fig but needs a lot of heat, and a long season to ripen, wish I had a greenhouse to give it a head start here in the northeast zone 6b that is now call 7a but it’s all well worth it for the few that I get . It’s very similar to figo Preto
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia

Online Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
......and if its too warm, list Phoenix 9b, it can be a little dry for it, not being quite as jammie.......so I have heard!
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
Well I may have a different perspective about production of a fig variety. Mine aren't very productive I don't know whether it's just a variety or they're still not all the way mature. I much rather have a good eating fig and a lot of them versus a handful of awesome tasting figs. Has anyone got good production out of this variety?

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
I get a lot figs on my tree but they just don’t have the time to get ripe.  my season is just not long enough, but it is a great fig, that Is why I have my workhorses to keep me happy in figs, 
My black Madeira originated from UC Davis
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »
We appreciate the input.  Here near the coast of Alabama we have a long growing season and lots of humidity.  In time we will add this one to our fig family. 

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:18:51 PM »
I too am looking for production cause I want to taste a lot of them not just wait for a couple of figs at the end of the season.  I now am mainly looking for figs that JD and Steve have played Dr Frankenstein with.  I know that they are looking to improve on production, taste and durability.

I do not mean to insult y’all(JD and Steve) by using the words “play Dr Frankenstein”.  I have the odd most respect for what y’all are doing.  If I could, I would love to help y’all out to improve or make some new strains of fig trees.
WL:  Marseilles Black, I-258, Smith, Panache Tiger and Dall Oso

Zone 9a South Louisiana

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 06:48:28 AM »
I understand what you are saying.  Its a time investment that will pay dividends down the road.  The good thing is with a little research and the help of fellow figgers you can expect yummy rewards.