Author Topic: Beauty Berries.  (Read 192 times)

Online Swamplife

Beauty Berries.
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »
I have 3 shrubs that I know of and maybe more in the back area of our property. These berries grow wild. The berries make a fine jam or jelly. Leaves can be used for mosquito repellent. I guard these because my Catahoula will eat them. I am making this post to see what others may have as wild edibles that may be uncommon.
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
 Robert Louis Stevenson
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
Re: Beauty Berries.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:20:12 PM »
Wild edibles are right up my alley.  I started 60 years ago as a cub scout. 

I have American Beauty Berries, wild blueberries, wild blackberries, Smilax (one of my favorites - tastes like asparagus), Bidens Alba, wild rough lemons, Pickerel weed, Plantain, Cattail, Wood Sorel, Porterweed, Cesars weed, Wild Hog Plum, Spiderwort, Sand Spur, crowfoot grass, Apios Americana, various palms, Bush Pawpaw, Oak Trees, Wax Myrtle, Sweetbay Magnolia, Tropical Almond, wild lettuce, Yams, cleavers, creeping cucumber, American Nightshade, Turks cap, sword Fern, Christmasberry, amaranth, nopales, Monstera Deliciosa, Chaya, Chickweed, Chufa Grass, Cocoplums, Coconut, Coontie, Cranberry Hibiscus, Prickly Pear, garlic, onion, chives, elderberries, Fireweed, mustard, Pelitory, Mulberries, Pennywort, Peppergrass, Pidgeon Peas, Pokeweed, Purslane, Sea Grapes, Simpson Stopper, Sow Thistle, Sumac, and others. 

Granted some of the above are strictly Famine foods, but all are edible in some form, and grow in my yard.  I have 20 acres in SW Florida, so your mileage may vary.  If TSHTF, I may die too, but not likely from starvation.  My guess is that most Americans with any decent sized yard have dozens of edibles.  If you are interested in this subject, look up the "Eat the Weeds" website with Green Dean.  He is fantastic.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:16:16 AM by GJRoberts »
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet  Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Anything put out by LSU

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
The above list doesn't include over 200 different rare tropical fruit and nut varieties I introduced to Florida.  Oh, yeah, I have about 40 different figs too!  Its just a hobby.  I think I may have OCD. 

My wifeahoula likes the fruit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:25:44 AM by GJRoberts »
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet  Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Anything put out by LSU

Online Swamplife

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »
Dandelions are another good one. 
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
 Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
I don't see many dandelions here, its too far south.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
First let me say, I donít have that much but I do have some.  We have mulberry, nopales but that is cause I planted them(the nopales not mulberry).  We also have blacker berries(the wild ones have thorns but I just added thornless this yr).  The nopales are not the ones that have the fruit.  Have have then cause if the low amount of thorns.  I am looking to add the ones with fruit. 

GJRoberts,

Do the smilax really taste like asparagus?   I heard of them last yr and have being meaning to read more about then cause we love asparagus.  We have the purple and jersey giant growing
WL:  Marseilles Black, I-258, Smith, Panache Tiger and Dall Oso

Zone 9a South Louisiana

Online Swamplife

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »
I have dandelions here, GJRoberts. I am also interested in smilax... how would I find them?
 Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
They do taste like asparagus.  Look for them under trees, down here its the oaks.  The best ones are near a source of water, where they can be as big around as a pencil.  They will climb up 60 feet if allowed.  Only the last few inches is soft enough to eat, just bend the tips, starting back about a foot, and they will break at the right spot as you move toward the tip.  Watch out for the nasty thorns.  They also make great material for making baskets.   There should be a lot of Youtube videos.  Its also called Greenbrier.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
I remember as a child grandmother send this out with baskets to cut dandelion greens. Being old time Farmers that lived off the land they prepared and ate many wild greens and fruits. It wasn't until later then I discovered that the yellow flower when you pull the green stem away from the blossom and Battery up and fried it taste just like a wild morel mushroom.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:50:09 PM by LouisianaMojo »

Online Swamplife

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
Love Dandelion greens. I am fond of Poke Salat  also
 Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:29 PM »
I forgot about purslane.  Have that growing everywhere.  Being eating that since I was a little kid.  Now when I first moved to south Louisiana, a Cajun lady told me about thistle and how it was edible.  They used to pick it and peel all the thorns and eat it like it was celery
WL:  Marseilles Black, I-258, Smith, Panache Tiger and Dall Oso

Zone 9a South Louisiana