Author Topic: ( Penny ) Celeste Fig  (Read 138 times)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
( Penny ) Celeste Fig
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
The Penny Celeste is a variety one would be lucky to see let alone find nowadays. What was once abundant in Louisiana and was a staple food has been long forgotten. You may be able to find one out in the bayou or on somebody's Farm that goes back a hundred years or so.

Most likely they were eliminated because of population growth and the size of the fruit. The Penny Celeste history goes back hundreds of years and is one of the most hardiest and disease resistant varieties you can find. This is why LSU used it in there historical breeding program.

The Penny Celeste has a close eye and the outer skin fluctuates from thin to a very thick skin depending on the season and growing conditions. Which is a very interesting factor that it can change and adapt to the climate to protect it's prize Bounty inside of this fig.

And why that is important here especially in the south it lets this fig naturally dry and to dehydrate on the tree without spoilage making these figs like a piece of candy with its chewy and Jami centers filled with goodness. This is why the early settlers and missionaries Harvest these fruits as a food staple in early history.

This is one of the most prize varieties in my collection and we are still using in our breeding program.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:19:28 PM by LouisianaMojo »

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Re: ( Penny ) Celeste Fig
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
This is what it looks like when it dehydrates and they are really like eating a piece of candy.

Online Swamplife

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Very interesting fig. A shame it has become so rare after being so available.I would love to taste this one.
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
 Robert Louis Stevenson
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
This variety would be great to have in a giveaway.  Spreading heirloom varieties is very important to future research, and biodiversity.  Plants go from rare to extinct when small changes happen in their current range.  I try to get rare heirloom plants whenever I can for our future generations.
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet  Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Anything put out by LSU

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
Interesting information. I learned recently from deerhunter16 of many old growth figs on Ocracoke Island NC.  I will be near there possibly next week.  May have time to visit.  Saving these old varieties is a wonderful goal.
Wish List:  I-258

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
That one does look like a sweet fig.
WL:  Marseilles Black, I-258, Smith, Panache Tiger and Dall Oso

Zone 9a South Louisiana

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!