Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle  (Read 328 times)

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the Jungle
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
Steve needed a break yesterday afternoon so he came down to the Jungle. Which is actually research field 1. He also brought down some new additions for the greenhouse here that we are going to attempt to breed this year.

We were kind of worn out from transplanting new fig trees into their big growing containers and I believe we still have 40 some to transplant as of today so hopefully Monday or Tuesday will be done.

It was very nice to take a break that afternoon and set underneath the shade trees and visit. We set down and discuss many current issues that we have going on one we will be discussing later on this year. After our meeting we sent Steve home with some fresh bananas.

Online Swamplife

Re: Welcome to the Jungle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
lOOKS LIKE YOU BOTH HAD A GOOD AFTERNOON..
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
I can sympathize, all that hard work will pay off.
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Online Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
What is Steve holding :o Are these banana figs?
Wish list: I-258, Thermalito, WM#1

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
Love banana trees.  Has to be one of the easiest trees(I do know itís not a tree) to grow if weather is not too cold
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
I rather save the space for fig trees because bananas are so cheap and readily available

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »
Figs_Italy,

A homegrown banana is nowhere near the same as a store bought.  If you ever want to taste a banana with a huge banana flavor and super sweet grow your own.  I am not pushing one over the other but I love the bananas in my smoothies, breads, with ice cream or plain cause they are that good.  I also read an article that stated banana wine is amazing(only read have not had chance to make any wine)
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
Hmmm!  I had not thought of wine.  Looks like I will have to bring out my equipment.

Jerry
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »
GJRoberts,

Do it, I like read all I could possibly make with fruits that I plant and came on a couple of articles that stated how amazing the wine turned out.  I have not had my plants that long to actually try making wine.  I have never tried making wine so I donít know where to start yet but from your post you sound like you made some before.  If you do please keep us informed so this way I can trust more than just what I read.  I know eventually I will try to make some but this year was my first year of production.  I will be experimenting in the future that I promise.

South Louisiana, 9a

Online Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
That sounds interesting, can you get a slice and ship it to me lol. It is unfortunate that the yard space is quite small here. But i usually get the thai bananas.

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
One should be careful on what they ask for. Jerry we have awesome recipe for banana wine with used for about 20 years this one calls for champagne yeast to give a little light bubbly effect

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
JD,

Should have known that you would have made some banana wine/champagne.  How is it?  I will be trying this next year.  I should have more bananas next year. 

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »
Where be that thar recipe?

Online LouisianaMojo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Alrighty then this is my recipe. And this is totally a light fruitful bubbly wine with a smooth great taste. This is for a five gallon batch.

3 to 4 lb of bananas per gallon
2 1/2. To 3 pounds of inverted sugar per gallon
3 lb of chopped raisins Sun Maid per 5 gallon
And the last ingredient 1 lb of shredded chopped coconut per 5 gallon

1  package of champagne yeast must be champagne to get it the light body with the bubbly in it.

You can use a Rubbermaid container or food grade container for your Musk.

I use 5-gallon paint strainers you can buy at any paint store to put in my fruit that way when you pull it you don't have a lot of stuff floating in your batch.

I also use a separate paint strainer for the raisins and coconut that way you can squeeze on it to get the rest of juice out when you pull it out of your batch.

1/2 gallon of water on the stove and add sugar and letting it dissolve making a sugar syrup add to fermentation container use two and a half pounds of sugar per batch repeat process until all the sugar is in the fermentation container.

Now cut up your bananas and put them in a pot on top stove topped with water try to keep it in a half a gallon to 3/4 gallon for repeat process  until you have all your fruit inside of the strainer bags  bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes and add it do your strainer bags inside your fermentation container. We also  do the same process with your raisins.

It may be easier for everybody to pre measure your water have 5 gallons of water in 1 gallon containers. All water that is left over boil and add to the fermentation container.

Let cool to room temperature crashed up 3 Campden tablet add to sterilize your batch cover with cheesecloth or a good bed sheet to keep out bugs.

Let this set a least 12 hours. Now you can boil a cup of water add 2 tablespoons of sugar and let cool to room temperature add your champagne yeast now cover with a kitchen towel and let the yeast activate itself. Once activated added to your fermentation container and cover.

Now this particular time if you're a wine buff you can add your other additive to your wine this is per gallon 1/4 tsp Tannin, 3 tsp Acid blend , 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme.

Stir with a sterilized paddle use a hydrometer to check for the potential alcohol content we like to have between 12 to 18%. You can add sugar water to raise the potential content of the alcohol.

Cover and stir everyday have your strainer bags tied up on the end where they're floating on top. Let ferment and repeat process for 7 days.

Now remove all the pulp bags stir let ferment for 3 more days. Now we are ready to put into the air locks car boys gallon jugs or whatever you have. When you put them in the airlock that is where the yeast converts the sugar into alcohol. Now mark down on the counter when you started the airlock we are going to rack the wine in 60 days.

This is a process where we're going to leave all the heavy pulp settlement in the bottom of the carboy jar and just take off the good stuff off the top into another airlock and repeat the process in another 60 days. Now you should notice the wine starting to be clearer and Be more clarify. We will repeat the process one more time in another 60 days. By now you should notice at the airlock has really slowed down to very few bubbles that are passing through it's also time for a taste.

So we should be close to being ready to bottle this up and stored if the wine is clear enough if not we can do it one more time we also before we bottle we want to kill the yeast that way it doesn't activate and crate pressure inside your bottles at this point it's time to touch up your sweetness before you kill yeast.

Bottle aged enjoy ! ! !   

If you're not a wine buff and don't want to buy the equipment and a bunch of these other additives just follow the recipe without the rest of it it comes out pretty good. The only element you can't get around is a campden tablets to sterilize the fruit so it doesn't mold on you.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
Wow, I did not know it took that much time and step.  Thank you for sharing your recipe. 

South Louisiana, 9a