Author Topic: Caveat emptor  (Read 52 times)

Offline Kevin912

• Welcome !!
Caveat emptor
« on: October 12, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
Well I just wanted to post this for collectors new and old. I just recieved an order of cuttings that I purchased on etsy. I'm totally aware of unscrupulous  and foriegn  sellers on ebay so I know not to search there. So I saw the sellers location said United states so i proceeded.  When i recieved  the email saying shipped and delivery was approximately  2 to 3 weeks i got nervous  so i emailed the seller. After a couple back and forth emails with vague  answers the seller finally  said they're based in Florida  but sometimes "out source " some of their rare varieties.  That's when I got really nervous. Lol I certainly don't like the idea of any feds showing up and prying my cuttings from my cold dead fingers(just kidding). Well they arrived to today and had international postage and my name and address  was also listed as the return address along with a declaration label that was marked tabletop decorations. Tje only saving grace is they're beautiful  well waxed cuttings and they were done 3rd party so I don't think there is a chance of confiscation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:55:13 PM by Kevin912 »
Wishlist
 Golden riverside, Genovese Nero AF, Bourjasotte gris, Smith, and LSU champagne LSU Strawberry

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
Re: Caveat emptor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
Now that you told us, the Feds know too!  You might as well hold them for confiscation.  They will be around for them.  They probably already know about the seller.
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Offline Kevin912

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
Ha
Wishlist
 Golden riverside, Genovese Nero AF, Bourjasotte gris, Smith, and LSU champagne LSU Strawberry

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
I wish you the best of luck.  Hope they do not show up
WL:  Strawberry Verte, Scots Black, White Bronx, Hollier, RdB, LSU(White Honey, Purple & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Smith, Kadota,Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Conadria, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Dall Oso, I-258 and Marseilles Black

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »
I think its terrible Etsy ebay etc lets this occur on a continuing basis.
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Pastiliere, Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, White Bronx

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »
Don't worry, there are those out there monitoring the forum who would get a special joy forwarding this to the Feds.
Want List - Buzzone Nero, Pellegrino, Ben's Golden Riverside, Dr. Clark, Col. Littman, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, CdDR, LSU Tiger, LSU Gold, CdDBN, White Maderia, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Strawberry Latte, Raspberry Latte, Anything put out by LSU

Offline GJRoberts

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
Ebay and other sales sites don't give a R.A that something is counterfeited, illegal, immoral, banned, misrepresented, etc. as long as they get their fees.  That's why you see thousands of cheap, shoddy and downright dangerous products sold on these sites.

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 10:30:04 PM »
Feds called me because I ordered some cuttings once off Ebay.  Apparently coming from Italy.  He called and asked about them.  I had set the rooted cuttings out one frost too early and they did not make it.  He was satisfied with my answer - although I would have preferred them to have survived.......but I guess I would have lost them anyways :(
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List:  Pastiliere, Smith, I-258, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, White Bronx

Online Figs_Italy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Don’t worry, just tell them description says “ship from the US” and save a cutting when they confiscate. I highly doubt this new variety is anything new though.
Wish list: I-258, Thermalito, WM#1