Author Topic: My 2019 rooting technique and early results  (Read 1272 times)

Online opiem10

Re: My 2019 rooting technique and early results
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 07:09:56 AM »
I just want to give members an update on my rooting success using the coir and shoebox technique.  Since starting on October 3rd, i have successfully rooted 20 out of 24 cuttings.   Only one variety (Noire de Barbentane) has not rooted.  With that variety, one cutting died and the other 3 are still not active.   I have had 100% success (4 out of 4 cuttings rooted) with Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Vasilika Black, Aubique Petite, and Vasilika Sika.

Twenty additional cuttings are in the boxes now, with Figo Preto already showing good roots on all cuttings after 10 days and I-258 cuttings producing lots of those early white root nodes after only 5 days.   

All of the rooted cuttings took to the cups of vermiculite well.   I almost lost one Vasilika Black cutting when I did not realize that the vermiculite had dried out.   It appears to be recovering.   As roots grow and develop, the vermiculite does dry quicker, so check regularly if you use it. 
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Black Bethlehem, Brooklyn White, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita

Online opiem10

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
One more note:   scratching off the bark on both sides of the lowest leaf node seems to work like magic.   The volume of roots developing along those two vertical lines is remarkable.  On a few cuttings in the future, I am going to try scratching bark up a little higher to see if even more roots grow.
Wish List: Smith, White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Black Bethlehem, Brooklyn White, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Good info and great to hear. Congrats!
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Smith, I-258, Panache

Online opiem10

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
Here is a picture of the rooted cuttings after about 6 weeks.   There is approximately 2-3 inches of growth on many cuttings.   Some of the cuttings just potted a week ago, are just starting to push the first leaves.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
Wow, great job John.  They look amazing
WL:  LSU(Red(JDs) & Tiger), Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Smith, Dall Oso and Brooklyn White

South Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
What lighting are you using?
Figs are Fun!!
Wish List: Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside and Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Bourjasotte Grise, White Bronx, Smith, I-258, Panache

Online opiem10

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
What lighting are you using?

Hi JHawka10, This picture was taken with the fig plants in a 110 qt plastic storage container (sorry, the detail of each cutting may not come through as a result).   I tried to photo individual plants, but they are a little too tall and the trunk too skinny to get a good side view.   The  lighting I use is a pair of 60 watt equivalent LED soft white bulbs, each in an 8 inch reflective clamp light fixture which I buy at Home Depot.   When I eventually remove the top of the storage box, I find I can clamp the lights to the side of the container and still get adequate light to all the rooted cuttings.