Author Topic: My 2019 rooting technique and early results  (Read 3573 times)

Offline opiem10

Re: My 2019 rooting technique and early results
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 07:09:56 AM »
I just want to give members an update on my rooting success using the coir and shoebox technique.  Since starting on October 3rd, i have successfully rooted 20 out of 24 cuttings.   Only one variety (Noire de Barbentane) has not rooted.  With that variety, one cutting died and the other 3 are still not active.   I have had 100% success (4 out of 4 cuttings rooted) with Col de Dame Noir, Col de Dame Grise, Vasilika Black, Aubique Petite, and Vasilika Sika.

Twenty additional cuttings are in the boxes now, with Figo Preto already showing good roots on all cuttings after 10 days and I-258 cuttings producing lots of those early white root nodes after only 5 days.   

All of the rooted cuttings took to the cups of vermiculite well.   I almost lost one Vasilika Black cutting when I did not realize that the vermiculite had dried out.   It appears to be recovering.   As roots grow and develop, the vermiculite does dry quicker, so check regularly if you use it. 
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Offline opiem10

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
One more note:   scratching off the bark on both sides of the lowest leaf node seems to work like magic.   The volume of roots developing along those two vertical lines is remarkable.  On a few cuttings in the future, I am going to try scratching bark up a little higher to see if even more roots grow.
Wish List:White Madeira, Buzzone Nero, Colonel Littman Black Cross, BB-10, Cravens Craving, Golden Riverside, St Rita, Black Zadar, Violet Sepor, D'all Osso, Col de Dame Rimada, Orphan, Socorro Black

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Good info and great to hear. Congrats!
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline opiem10

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
Here is a picture of the rooted cuttings after about 6 weeks.   There is approximately 2-3 inches of growth on many cuttings.   Some of the cuttings just potted a week ago, are just starting to push the first leaves.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
Wow, great job John.  They look amazing
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger),  Roberts Golden Rainbow, Buzzone Nero, UCR 187-25, Dall Oso, Thermalito, any CdD

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Dwarf(4í variety), Red, Praying hands & multiple pod). 

Louisiana, 9a

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
What lighting are you using?
Wish List: Izmir, Genovese Nero, Noir de Barbentane, LSU Red, Pastiliere, Col de Dame Blanc, Black Zadar, Golden Riverside, Red Lebanese Bakka, Socorro Black, Figo Preto, Marseilles Black,Col de Dame Noir/Grise/ blanc, Bourjasotte Grise

Offline opiem10

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
What lighting are you using?

Hi JHawka10, This picture was taken with the fig plants in a 110 qt plastic storage container (sorry, the detail of each cutting may not come through as a result).   I tried to photo individual plants, but they are a little too tall and the trunk too skinny to get a good side view.   The  lighting I use is a pair of 60 watt equivalent LED soft white bulbs, each in an 8 inch reflective clamp light fixture which I buy at Home Depot.   When I eventually remove the top of the storage box, I find I can clamp the lights to the side of the container and still get adequate light to all the rooted cuttings.

Offline E_Guido

• Welcome !!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
I'm going to give this method a try with my next batch of cuttings. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

What temperature do you set your heat mat? I've read people setting them anywhere between 65 and 78 degrees for different rooting techniques.
Zone 7A New Jersey
Wish List : Smith, I-258, Socorro black, BB-10, Strawberry Verte, LSU Strawberry, Bronx White, Col de Dame Noir

Offline Jhawka10

• Welcome !!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 02:06:07 PM »
They great!!!

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 11:23:32 PM »
This is nice.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, CDD Rimada, Thermalito, White Madeira, Black Madeira dwarf, Lebanese Red, Golden Celeste, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese, Improved Celeste.

Offline Gofigure

• Welcome !!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »
I am about to start all my cuttings that I have collecting since November last year , using this same technique. I am hoping that by the time they have enough roots , I will be able to put them outside.
I have read that many people soak the cuttings in water ( sometimes for days ) before trying to root them. Anyone think I should do this ?
WL : Anything really but these would be nice - any LSU , Figo Preto , CCraving , MIB , Adriatic JH , Thermolito , CDDAnything , Bourjasotte Noir, Raspberry Latte , Golden Riverside , Buzzone Nero, Edith's Raspberry Jam , CLBC , Hative d'Argentile , I-258

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 12:19:40 PM »
I am about to start all my cuttings that I have collecting since November last year , using this same technique. I am hoping that by the time they have enough roots , I will be able to put them outside.
I have read that many people soak the cuttings in water ( sometimes for days ) before trying to root them. Anyone think I should do this ?
Putting them in water is a great way to see the start of root bumps. The shoe box method works great. Putting them in a small clear cup of coco coir works when you have them in a box with high humidity. There are so many different ways to root cuttings. I am going to just say this, find what works for you and stick with it. Best of luck, oh, and you will need patience no mater which method you use.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline Selkins86

• Welcome !!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »
Opeim I have more roots outside the coir than I do inside using this technique. Do you have any insight to why this may occur?
Wish list:
Dessert king
Mary Lane Seedless
Dr. Clark
Violet Sepor
Figo Preto
White Madera #1
Bass Favorite
BB 10
Texas BA 1
Buzzone Nero
LSU Red
BTM6
JDs Giant Brown Turkey
JH Adriatic
Louisiana Green Honey
Louisiana Lighting Fig
And really any other variety good for north central MS 😁

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 02:40:42 PM »
Received cuttings from two members.  Took a couple from each batch.  Wrapped in a damp towel and closed in a togo box.  Clearly one set is in a hurry. 

ps: the speed demons are from KelleyGA8a

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:50:41 PM by mothergoosefarms »
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline KelleyGA8a

• Citruholic and Fig Fiend
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
Thatís fantastic, Mother Goose!! Iím happy theyíre cooperating for you ;)
Stockbridge, GA - Zone 8a

Wish List: Markopoulo, I-376, LSU Red, I-258, CdD Roja, Martinenca Rimada, MBVS, BB10

Grow List: Adriatic JH, SMGG, Ponte Tresa, Panache, Galluzzo Bianco, Paradiso, Strawberry Verte