Author Topic: Past, Present and future of the Louisiana backyard scientist Breeding Program  (Read 2366 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
First let us start by saying that are free giveaways here on Southernfigsforum is only a small part of what we are doing. And shouldn't be the main feature of our group we are trying to help new fig enthusiast, in education and spreading the word that these wonderful fruits can be grown anywhere.

One of our goals is in the development and circulation of some of the best figs in the world. Figs have been around for a very long time going back to biblical times of the Bible. We have seen billions and billions of dollars being spent with grants and universities doing research and trying to improve these amazing fruits.

And one of the most famous breeding programs going back to the 1950s is of the Louisiana State University and Dr Ed O'Rourke. In doing a ton of research on LSU and Dr O'Rourke I stumbled across some hidden and critical information.

LSU has helped many universities with their fig breeding programs Jimmy Boudreaux went to Texas A&M and help them with many of his years spent with LSU and Dr Ed O'Rourke our we seeing a pattern here ? LSU in their breeding program had developed several male seedlings used in their program.

Dr. O'Rourke set out to make the perfect figs for the South, closed eyes, can flourish and be very vigorous in the high heat and humidity here in the south, disease resistant and won't spoil on the trees.

Some of the trees that he developed came from very old varieties that have been here in Louisiana for hundreds and hundreds of years. Having to adapt and build up resistance to survive here in Louisiana is why dr. O'Rourke chose them.

These characteristics is what helped develop what I call the Holy Grails of fig trees. We have and use some of these varieties here. But we we're very very lucky in creating a couple of Our Own the odds is like 1 in ten thousand so you may say we hit the lottery.

So we have developed Hundreds of seedlings that should start fruiting here next year. We have created a couple of of the Holy Grail trees that we are waiting to mature so we can use them in the program.

We imported some varieties back in March of this year that the quarantine people we're very happy to sign off and get them to us because they were financially responsible until they delivered them. The Mosaic and Silver Lyre Afghan are not supposed to survive here in the United States but doing very well the Mosaic we are getting ready to breed.

The silver lyre Afghan ( afghanistanica) is showing outstanding results for me with the humidity Mr Steve was shocked when I pointed out that huge difference in humidity between me and him. I think when I had him check it the first time his was like 12% mine was running in the 80s percent humidity. Needless to say he did go into a frantic oh it's going to kill it thank God for a dehumidifier.

Starting next year we will be acclimating it to the ultraviolet rays. and Sun much like the white panache that wasn't supposed to live. So I would say we've had some major advancement in getting these new Imports settled in an adjusting so we can start breeding them.

Looking forward to 2020 should be a very exceptional year for us here of production of new hybrid.

Offline stealthmayhem

• Future Fig Forest Ranger
Awesome job you guys are doing down there.  I am always interested in hearing more.
Wishlist : ALL of the Figs!~
Seriously:  CdDR, CdDG, Figo Preto, Black Ischia, All of the LSU Releases - Official or not,  Raspberry Latte, LdA, Sultane, Florea, Improved Celeste, White Marseilles, Peter's Honey, CdDN, Bronx White, Golden Celeste, MBVS, Shasta Peach

Offline Swamplife

• Think you can't change the world? Eat a raw bat.
J.D., you and Mr. Steve are constantly amazing me with your research. Keep up the great work.
Wish List: Louisiana Lightening, Smith Fig, Dall' OSSO Fig, Socorro Black, BB-10,LSU Gold, LSU Thibodaux, LSU Jack Lily, LSU O'Rourke, UCR 184-15,Colonel Litman's Black Cross, Orphan fig, Adriatic JH, Ice Cream Banana, any variety banana,

Offline Maricopa85139

• Welcome !!
Thank you JD and Steve for your awesome work  and very informative posts! Looking fwd to when you all  can release some of  your newest and  best prospects.  Great growing !    ~ Scott ~

Offline Bry

• Welcome !!
Hear, hear! You guys are doing good work. It must be fun to get input and share your thoughts with a random slice of specialty gardeners too---
Would like to try Ronde de Bourdeaux, I-258, Chicago Hardy, Improved Celeste, Col de Dame Gris, LSU Scott's Black, Verte, Nero 600M or any hardy tasty fig!

Offline elusivefig

• Live and let live!
Quite an interesting post. Had a conversation not too long about about figs; history, how its reveried in many religions and such. For what you and Steve are doing, astounding since its more of "love what you do" not doing what needs to be done for its outcome. To have the ability to create new types is solid. Continue doing what you're doing  ;D Enjoy reading about the successes (highs and lows), discoveries you've already had and will continue to have!

Farah
WL: Yellow Panache, CDD (Blanc, Roja, Rimada) Popone, Martinenca Rimada, Zold Orias, A Sangue, CLBC, White Madeira#1, LSU Red Extraordinaire, Izbat an Naj, Orphan, Exp 24, Zaffiro

Offline Richnbr

• Welcome !!
This has to be a labor of love for you two. I can’t wait for the day I see your varieties for (Removed Word) in the nurseries right alongside the Celeste and brown Turkey. Till then I wish you and Steve the best in your breeding program.
Wish list: Hunt, colonel Littmans black cross , louisiana strawberry,LSU Red ,White Madera #1, Buzzone Nero anything that tastes awesome and does well in central Louisiana zone 9a

Offline Casey

Interesting information guys, some great things you are doing down there!
Casey
WL: Any short season cultivars?

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
I am always waiting to see what y’all come up with.  Great job
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
Looking forward to 2020 should be a very exceptional year for us here of production of new hybrid.

Your post gives us all a lot to look forward to.  Your success also gives us something to aspire to.
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline efletche

• Welcome !!
I didn't know you were also bringing in figs from other countries. That is beyond impressive.
want list: Campaniere , Dels Ermitans, Little Miss Figgy, LSU Red Fig extraordinary, Raspberry Tart, Ham Rham, U. Prosciutto, Labritja, Louisiana Lightning, Buzzone Nero, . Vigorous and thornless Blackberry and Raspberry plants, La swamp fig, sour orange seeds (to be used as rootstock)

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
Very interested read.  My main question is: Is there anything we can do to help in the effort?
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline FigHearted

Wow, I cannot imagine a better job.  I would absolutely love to spend a week or two working with you guys at your fig breeding program, but I know that is not possible.  I just think you have the absolute best job there is and are doing a wondering job at it, too!

WL: Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, EXP24, JDs LSU Red, JDs Giant Brown Turkey, BB10, BFF, Adriatic JH,  Battaglia Green, Burgan UNK, CLBC, BNR,  Socorro, Del Monte,Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow