Author Topic: Starting out the year 2019 with new seedlings  (Read 4866 times)

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
Starting out the year 2019 with new seedlings
« on: February 03, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
This should be a very productive year we are now germinating seeds that were in a breeding program last fall. So we will keep updates going as this process is 4th going. This is group 3 2019

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
Re: Starting out the year 2019 with new seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:08 PM »
I have never even thought of starting a fig from seed.  Let me get a little better at rooting cuttings and maybe doing a graft or two.  Wish you the best of luck
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »
Here are some updates photos are the new seedlings on group 3

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
New update on group 3. These are quite amazing The growth rate is at top performance right now with feeding them with special nutrients they need. We transferred these into 1 gallon pots today on average they're about 7 to 8 inches tall on average. We will be transferring these into 2 gallon pots in 30 days the reasoning behind this is we want the roots to constantly digging and spreading out 4 nutrients. Our goal is to have them in 3 gallon pots in 60 days with having a average height of 2 foot.

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
Here is another group of seedlings that we repotted the other day.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
JD,

Great job.  They are growing so fast.  I canít wait to see them fruit.  They look amazing, look at those roots
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, Smith, Dall Osso, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Manzano, Ice Cream, Red & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that since I started gardening/started growing my own food, I have gained some patience.

Louisiana, 9a

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 11:10:11 PM »
Impressive results.  Will each individual seedling be evaluated?  At what age will you be able to decide if it was a keeper or a cull?
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 09:11:35 AM »
Yes  Mother Goose all seedlings are evaluated very closely for the first two years and until they produce figs.

We watch very closely the growth rates of all seedlings to see how vigorous they are and looking for signs of leaf rust and diseases and resistance.

We monitored very closely how much the seedlings grow every month and document when they start to push branches out. Etc etc.

Offline mothergoosefarms

• Recovering Fig Addict (NOT...LOL)
  • Global Moderator
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »
Thank you for elaborating.  I know this is an older thread but I'm working my way through older posts. 
Wish List: 
LSU red extraordinaire, Italian (unk) , Strawberry Verte, Dall Osso Fig, LSU Strawberry,, LSU Black (any), White Maderira,  Col de Dame (any),   RdB, Roberts Golden Rainbow, Adriatic, Panache Tiger, Socorro Black, Qudssaya

Coastal Alabama

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
What do you do with the rejects? Firewood? lol.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline LouisianaMojo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »
Good question Rudy we haven't thought about it much in this stage I know I have some as you would call them Rejects from about 5 years ago.

And since we're not into Destroying what we've created I think we will be Distributing and be putting them in Wildlife areas to give back and help Mother Nature and all God's Little Critters.

Dr. Ed O'Rourke was one of my mentors and we're going to follow a lot of his examples. Dr. O'Rourke was a very generous person if you do any research you'll see that he was involved with a lot of different research facilities in helping other facilities with the development of their fig breeding programs.

It is very obvious To see his legendary works are still in high demand here in United States and abroad as well many of his Creations have been smuggled outside of the United States because of the high demand and popularity of them.

Indeed yes many of the LSU varieties have been smuggled outside United States and have been extorted by the Fig Mafia this is a bad thing but it's also a good thing.

Now hold on there J D how could it be a good thing ? It's a bad thing because they're extorting the the LSU varieties for very high prices.

It's a great thing and I repeat that it's a great thing that they smuggle these throughout the world. Because it backs up all the research that I've ever done on LSU and Dr Ed O'Rourke.

And it proves this point they can grow anywhere in the world and be very productive if you're on Facebook and follow some of this social media great testimonials all over the world about the LSU varieties and how productive they are and the great flavor the resistance ETC. All one needs to do is read and research and the facts are there

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
I was hoping that the rejects would be given away.  I am sure your standards are high and focus on specific characteristics, but I am a true believer in the old saying, "another man's trash is another man's treasure.  Some varieties may not meet your standards, but for the home grower like me, he/she may not be so picky if the fruit tastes really good and would perform better in a totally different region than in the South.  Maybe distribute the trees according to the tree's positive attributes?  IMO, there are some hard to get varieties on the market that are not worth acquiring due to either needing an extremely long growing season, producing really small sized fruit or fruit that easily spoils/sours on the tree. 

I don't think there are any bad fig trees. If people are aware of the cons of your rejects, you would be still feeding people and wildlife as well as making people happy.  Regarding the wildlife, they typically beat the humans to the fruit if they are planted in the ground. lol.

I was also thinking that at some point in time, whichever trees you plant in the wild, they will eventually be found by some fig hunter and try to capitalize on it which I know you are firmly against. I have been on enough social media sites to see this being done.   If you decide you don't want your reputation capitalized on by members potentially sharing/selling your product, you may as well compost them.   :'(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:28:17 AM by Rudy »
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Bryant Dark, Dominick Dark, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Red, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom