Author Topic: Cold North, Humid South, & Hydroponics  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Figtastic

Cold North, Humid South, & Hydroponics
« on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
Hello there!

I am an avid Michigan gardener (zone 6), with a new fig obsession.    Have a new place in Southern Florida (Zone 9a), looking to grow figs in both difficult climates.  Love to propagate plants and can't believe how easily figs take.  Did some fruit tip cuttings to see if my Violette de Bordeaux would produce this year.  The fruits are still small and I'm sure most will not ripen before our first frost.  But the small cuttings I took, started growing.  The ones I put in hydroponically are doing amazingly well, better than the ones in potting soil.  Planning to keep growing some cuttings hydroponically under LEDs over the winter.  Anyone ever grow figs to fruit hydroponically?     

Marco
Wish List: 
 LSU varieties, RdB, Im.Celeste, Preto, Red Lebanese BV, Smith.
Have: Violette de Bordeaux fig cuttings to trade. Concord & Himrod grapes, Purple Possum Passion Vine, Triple Crown Blackberries, hardy kiwi.

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
  • Smile as you pass through!
Re: Cold North, Humid South, & Hydroponics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 07:54:56 PM »
Where are you in Florida? 

I haven't tried figs hydroponically.  I would love to start other plants and figs to see how they do.
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline Figtastic

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »
I just bought a place in Sarasota, Florida.  Not too far from you in Arcadia.  Haven't started my Florida fig farm farm yet!  What types of figs do well down here?  Do you have to grow them in large pots to protect them from nematodes? 
Wish List: 
 LSU varieties, RdB, Im.Celeste, Preto, Red Lebanese BV, Smith.
Have: Violette de Bordeaux fig cuttings to trade. Concord & Himrod grapes, Purple Possum Passion Vine, Triple Crown Blackberries, hardy kiwi.

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »
I am relatively new to figs, and have had quite a few challenges  in the last year.  Your want list is pretty much spot on for SW Florida.  I have most in pots right now, and just started some of my "already have ones" in the ground as an experiment.  They aren't dead yet.  Next year I can tell you more.   

The Rona has cancelled all Fruit club meetings for 2020, but when they come back for meetings you should consider join the Suncoast Tropical Fruit club, the Manatee County Fruit club, or the Tropical Fruit Society of Florida - all great clubs..

Looking forward to meeting you!

Jerry
Want -Ben's Gdn Riverside, CLBC, Cravens Craving, Exquisito, Black Zadar, CdDBN, White Maderia #1, Zaffiro, Campaniere, Raspberry Verte, LSU Tiger, UCR 187-25, Violete Sepor, Thermalito, LA Lightning, Luv, Brooklyn White, Zingarella,Stella,LA-BB, Maltese Beauty

Offline SaintLupulin

• Learning to grow figs in America's basement...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »
Hello Figtastic. I am new to figs as well and not too far from you as I live in North Port. I am also growing in pots until I find a few solid varieties to trial in ground. I look forward to seeing your progress and us learning together.

Cheers!
WL: LSU Strawberry, Rosselino, Any Col De Dames, Azores Dark, Neruciollo D'elba, Iranian Candy, anything with cherry flavor or rain/mold resistant qualities.

Offline JimTeague

• Welcome !!
Member in Sarasota, Fl area looking to trade:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 04:50:01 AM »
Hi: Recently joined SFF and live in Sarasota, Fl. Just got the Fig bug last Spring and have several varieties growing now. Most prolific is a Honey Fig. Seems to produce almost year arouond. Would like to meet other folks in this area for trading or just comparing notes on good varieties for our hot/humid conditions.
Regards
Jim Teague :)

Offline GJRoberts

• Global Moderator
Re: Member in Sarasota, Fl area looking to trade:
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
Hi: Recently joined SFF and live in Sarasota, Fl. Just got the Fig bug last Spring and have several varieties growing now. Most prolific is a Honey Fig. Seems to produce almost year arouond. Would like to meet other folks in this area for trading or just comparing notes on good varieties for our hot/humid conditions.
Regards
Jim Teague :)

Feel free to contact me if you want to get a tour of my place,  I have hundreds of different varieties of rare fruits, including figs.  There are a lot of successes, and failures.  "The idea is not to learn from your mistakes, but to learn from the mistakes of others"  Quote - Jerry Roberts