Author Topic: Cuttings and Fish Emulsion  (Read 613 times)

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Cuttings and Fish Emulsion
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »
I have some really young cuttings and want to start fertilizing them with fish emulsion.  I am really paranoid about fertilizing them but know they need it.  Do I follow the instructions on the label or should it be half?  I have 2 cuttings.  One has 1 leaf and the other has 3.  These are the Homestead Bayou cuttings so I really, really want to to this right because I cannot replace them.

WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline opiem10

Re: Cuttings and Fish Emulsion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 10:43:23 AM »
Rudy, fish emulsion should not burn young plants or result in salt accumulation within the pot.   I think you are safe with a full strength solution.

If you are tentative, start with half strength for a week, then go 3/4 strength in the second week, and then full strength in week 3.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
How long have the cuttings being on roots?   I would say do half doze to start of and proceed from there.  Sorry but need a little more information.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 11:22:43 AM »
How long have the cuttings being on roots?   I would say do half doze to start of and proceed from there.  Sorry but need a little more information.

According to a post I made about them, it was some time in May when I up potted them.  The problem is that I used a 3 gallon bucket which is way too large.  I thought, big bucket, lots of roots and growth.  It's not turning out that way. lol  These plants are being babied.  Maybe too much which is why they are not growing like my other figs.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
Denise,

I try to up-pot in small increments but if all I have is a larger pot it does not matter.  I had a rooted cutting that needed up-potting and all I had was a 10gal fabric pot, guess what I did?   Yes, I used the 10gal to up-pot.  I feed it like all others. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline AtlantaFig

• Fig addict and can never be cured.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
Rudy,

You can use the full strength of fish emulsion for your cuttings after rooted. It will not harm it, that is what I use for my rooted cuttings. I prefer to go from cup to one gallon container for the roots to establish very well before up potting it to 3 or more gallons container.
Wishlist: LSU Red, Socorro Black, I-258, CDD Blanc, CDD Noir, Thermalito, Black Madeira dwarf, Louisiana Fig Varieties, Louisiana Lightening, Buzzone Nero, LSU Figs. Giant Brown Turkey, Excel, Mutant Fig, Yellow Lebanese.

Offline rogerfwright

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 06:08:31 AM »
Start with half strength
ROGER WRIGHT