Author Topic: Best time to start airlayer  (Read 197 times)

Offline Holdmydrpepper

Best time to start airlayer
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
Greetings!

I live in East Texas.  It's hot, humid, and 100% Texas right now.  It's the beginning of August and fig cutting season is just a few months away. 

When would be the best time to airlayer in this climate?
Should I use peat, coco coir, or a potting mix? 

Thanks!

Edit:  I have watched TONS of videos from JSacadura and the Millennial Gardener, both channels are a wealth of knowledge and well put together.  They just don't elaborate on when to start air layers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:06:10 PM by Holdmydrpepper »
Looking for ANY cuttings to trade!  Wish list: CdD Roja.

My current figs:  texas blue giant, martinenca rimada, VdB, Arizona white, bourgissot noir, Texas everbearing, Ponte tresa, nero, white adriatic,  Smith, lsu tiger.

Offline opiem10

Re: Best time to start airlayer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
Hi Jack,
     I believe late winter or early spring will be the best time for you to air layer a fig plant.   You want to do this when the plants are putting their energy into green growth.   Now, they may be focusing on fruit production and ripening.    And, in TX, you now have high heat that might dry out the media in your air layer bottle, bag, or rooting ball too quickly.   Just my two cents.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Online tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
This makes so much sense, especially for South Carolina, which is almost as hot as Texas. LOL. Thanks for sharing this. It is sometimes difficult to decipher the best  advice when there are so many Youtubers and such sharing so many different practices and philosophies.
Wish List: Alma, Smith, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Ronde de Bordeaux, any Honey fig, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.)

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »
Jack,

To add to what John said.  If your tree is not producing figs and you have it in a pot, move it to a shady area and go for it, you just have to check to make sure the media does not dry out by adding water. 

As for what media to use: all of the ones you mentioned are good.  I have used potting and coco coir but only cause I have not bought any peat.  If you have any other questions please ask and check John's posts on air-layers. 
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
Hey Jack,

I just started air layering a month ago.  One air layer has quite a few roots.  I have pictures on another post.  Check the pictures and as deerhunter16 John mentioned in the thread and showed his current air layer - there are a lot of roots.  So I will still leave mine to produce more roots. 
John (opiem10) did very extensive step-by-step instructions on how to air layer in the posts.  Just check through them.  Or ask questions, everyone here is so helpful.
Good luck!!
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian