Author Topic: Wild Mushrooms Problem  (Read 332 times)

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Wild Mushrooms Problem
« on: August 11, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
Although not fig related, but we have so many wild mushrooms growing in the grass in our back yard.  Larger one, red tops, orange tops, tan tops, all have white bottoms.  I have been picking them as I see them and throwing them in the garbage.  We even tried to put lime down on the lawn.

My concern is that our two dogs eat grass, weeds and hopefully not mushrooms.

Does anyone know of a way to rid the yard of wild mushrooms without chemicals that would harm our dogs?

Thanks for any answers :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline opiem10

Re: Wild Mushrooms Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:04:04 PM »
Janet,
     Unfortunately, mushrooms will continue to pop in our NJ lawns as long as we continue to have frequent rains, especially if your soil is high in organic matter.

Fungicides don't work as the mushroom is actually the fruit of the fungus in your lawn.   Try keeping your grass very short and pray for occasional but not frequent rain.   If you use mulch or have trees with decaying roots, these items aid in mushroom spread.

Keep picking as soon as you see the mushrooms to help stop the spread of spores.    :(
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
John,

Thanks :)  I will keep picking the mushrooms and watching the pups.
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
Janet,

I was going to say the same thing that John suggested.  Mushrooms show that you have some good soil and very damp.   Hope your puppies stay healthy.
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 07:59:28 PM »
Thanks Arturo & John,

I police the yard every day when I take them outside.  Have to keep an eye on the puppy, she likes to eat everything :)

Thanks for answering.