Author Topic: Birds are staying away in 2021  (Read 202 times)

Offline opiem10

Birds are staying away in 2021
« on: August 15, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »
I don't know why, but birds are not getting to my figs this year.   I don't know the reason, but one thing I did differently this year was to place aluminum name tags on higher branches of my trees.   Nothing fancy, just oval tags I cut from aluminum soda cans.   They hang from the tree on a nylon string and flutter in the breeze.   Some were hung with thin copper wire and not only flutter, but also act like a mini wind chime as they clink against the wire.   Scare tape didn't work last year so I am not sure why the birds are not attacking my dark figs.   Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.

And the bonus is that I have no plastic tags where the variety name has been bleached away by the sun.   The aluminum from the cans is soft enough to etch with a ball point pen too.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Online Rudy

• Welcome !!
Re: Birds are staying away in 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »
There is a couple that I follow who homesteads in FL who uses CDs attached to wires to scare away birds. Their names are Nancy and Hollis. With that said, you may be onto something that works for you.
WL:  Black Bethlehem,BB-10, Bass Favorite, Dark Portuguese, Galicia Negra, Greek White, LSU Thibodeaux, Super Red Hybrid, White Adriatic, BB10, Cavaliere, CLBC, Kesarsini,  Monstrueuse, Rosselino, Socorro Black, Violet Sepor, Vista,White Madera #1, Zingerella, any family heirloom