Author Topic: Treating a Sick Tree  (Read 380 times)

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
    • Middleton's Hobby Farm and Garden
Treating a Sick Tree
« on: August 25, 2021, 10:10:41 PM »
A former student dropped this tree off at my house with instructions to "fix it". I don't know the variety or how old the tree is. All she could tell me was it was dug up from the base of a larger tree in her mother's yard here in SC zone 7.

The leaves appear to have some sort of rust on them. I have removed the old soil and replaced it, leaving more space in the bottom for the roots to stretch out. I've fertilized it with fish emulsion. There may be a tiny bit of new growth on one branch. Looking for ideas about how to treat the tree and rid it of these spots.

Wish List: Alma, Smith, Black Jack, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Ronde de Bordeaux, any Honey fig, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.)

Offline opiem10

Re: Treating a Sick Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
Hi LeConte,
     We all hate to see a sick tree and want to fix it immediately.

My words of caution are to not try to do too much too quickly, as this will stress the tree further.   Giving the tree fresh soil and a feeding of fish emulsion are all that I would do right now.   Also, keep it shaded for a week or two, as it may not be able to tolerate intense sunlight after a transplant occurred.   When you see new green growth, SLOWLY acclimate to full sun.   

Rust will be a problem when conditions are very humid.   As those leaves die and drop, they will be replaced with fresh, green leaves.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline HWall_HTX

• It was fun while it lasted.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 06:02:25 PM »
LeConte

Further to John’s point, you will not be able to get rid of the spots on the existing leaves.

With proper care, as noted by John, new growth will sprout and be healthy leaving you with a tree containing both “spotted” and green leaves. You could also add some type of copper fungicide as a preventative in the future to reduce the impact of rust when you are in an area of high humidity or experience excessive rain.
WL: Peace and satisfaction

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I was thinking in the right direction, but needed confirmation. I see new growth coming from the tips. It looks healthy and green. Fingers crossed it grows up to be a healthier tree. (She may not get it back! :) Ha.Ha.)
Wish List: Alma, Smith, Black Jack, Hunt, Frank, Peace, Pound, any Col de Dame, Italian-258, LSU varieties, Golden Riverside, Ronde de Bordeaux, any Honey fig, heirloom varieties (I'm still learning.)

Offline TXWatson

• ArkLaTex / 8a
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »
It doesn't look that bad to me. I've had some horrific rust problems this year. With good care/fertilization + trimming the effected leaves, I've had several grow right out of it.
Want: Any CDD, RDB, Smith, Red Lebanese

Offline tridrama

• Welcome !!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 09:34:22 PM »
It's been a few weeks. The tree has put out a lot of new growth and is sending up a  new shoot. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
LeConte,

That is great news that the Sick Tree is now on the mend and doing well!!  :)
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »
Very happy to hear your tree is doing better.  Wish you the best of luck
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline rogerfwright

• Welcome !!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:05 AM »
Good luck hope its works out
ROGER WRIGHT