Author Topic: Hurricane Ida get ready  (Read 942 times)

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
Re: Hurricane Ida get ready
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »
John,

So sorry to hear about the flooding of your home.  On my side of New Jersey - just wind sheered leaves.  No flooding on my street or house.  My mother is on the water and so far no high tide coming into her yard or house (she was hit with Superstorm Sandy 2012 and house was flooded out.)

If you need anything, just let us know, Ray and I would help you.
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline deerhunter16

• Welcome !!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 03:50:01 PM »
John ,
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, as long as you and the family are ok that is whatís important.
John z7a
Wish list:  Barnsotto, Black ischia, Cavalier, Marteneca Rimada, White Madeira

Offline opiem10

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 12:33:50 AM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words.   We are all safe and that is what is most important.   Material goods can be replaced.  And re-finishing the walls gives me a winter project to tackle while my figs are taking their long winter's nap.

If anyone wants to see the type of flooding we had in my area of NJ, do a Google search for "Somerset Patriots Park flooded" or open the link below.  The NY Yankees double AA team plays there this season.   The ballpark is flooded to the top of the outfield fence.   In my town, all the access roads are covered in water and there is no way in or out.   Several people have drowned in my neighborhood trying to drive through flooded roads.  Someone showed me a graph of the change in the water table and it raised over two feet within one hour.   No one had ever charted such a rise so quickly, ever.

https://www.nj.com/weather/2021/09/yankees-affiliated-somerset-patriots-ballpark-is-consumed-by-flood-waters-from-ida.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:35:53 AM by opiem10 »
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »
John,

So sorry... Ray's sister lives in your town - she couldn't get out either - surrounded by water.  Prayers and stay safe.
WL:Improved Celeste,Unk.Ray Black,Black Jack,Black Genoa,Smith,LSU Red,Golden Rainbow,BNR,LSU Gold, LSU Strawberry,Unk Burgan,CDD Noir,CDD Blanc,LSU Black Mutante DC-7,Col.Littman's Black Cross,
Eastchester Black Unk.,Cavaliere,Desert King,Texas Strawberry,Petite Negra,White Marsielle,UNK Italian

Offline Ashley

• Just Started Growing Figs
  • Thank You for Having Me
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about the damage to your home John.   

Arturo - Happy to hear you did not sustain major damage.

The storm was certainly a big one that had major impacts in many states.
Wishlist:  Col de Dame Blanc, LSU Red, LSU Strawberry, LSU Black, Galicia Negra, Socorro Black

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
  • Food Forest or at least Food Orchard
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words.  We were very lucky cause I heard some people were not as lucky.  My prayers to them.

John,

Sorry to hear about your damages.  I am very happy you and your family are safe.  I really hate the cleaning part cause that usually means we lost food cause frig/freezer got fried or tv and all the mud that gets tracked in while it rains for days while you donít have power.  Sorry for the damages
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline FigMamaJanet

• Welcome !!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
Arturo,

I am glad that you and your family weathered Hurricane Ida.  Hope you are recovering from it. 

Offline opiem10

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words.  We were very lucky cause I heard some people were not as lucky.  My prayers to them.

John,

Sorry to hear about your damages.  I am very happy you and your family are safe.  I really hate the cleaning part cause that usually means we lost food cause frig/freezer got fried or tv and all the mud that gets tracked in while it rains for days while you donít have power.  Sorry for the damages

Thanks Arturo, The cleanup and rebuild will take a few months as I will be doing the work myself.  But we are all OK and lucky to be able to do the work.  We are fortunate to never have lost power, unlike so many in the South.   We did have one freezer stop working but again, am lucky to have a few friends who happened to have available freezer space.   As a result, I will lose very little food. 

And so my frozen figs don't go to waste (and since freezer space is at a premium), a large batch of fig jam will be made this evening.  When Mother Nature gives you lemons, you just have to make lemonade.
Wish List: Black Zadar, Bordissot Negra Rimada, Buzzone Nero, Cessac, Col de Dam Gegantina, Figoin

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »
John,

Always great to hear about lemons to lemonade.   We have a grill so when we lost power, we grilled as much as we could.  We lost some food(meats and Vegs) but mainly veggies.  I grilled as much as I could.  I need to start canning not just freeze fruits and veggies.  Not enough time in a day
WL:  LSU(Red Extraordinaire & Tiger), Buzzone Nero, Socorro Black, UCR 187-25, Thermalito, Mutant, any CdD, Calderona

Other WL:  Banana(Ice Cream, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek & Praying hands).  Edible Perennials(seeds and/or cuttings).

Louisiana, 9a

Offline opiem10

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 08:17:23 AM »
Fourteen and a half pints of fig jam are now in the pantry. 

Arturo, I also freeze a lot of fruit I harvest throughout the summer.   I like it better than when I jar it.   However, it is also easier to lose it when disaster hits.  The grill is also a lifesaver.

Offline LaFigGwr2019

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »
Janet,

Thank you and we are recovering.  We did not have major damage to the house.  That was the only thing that did not get touched.  I am not complaining, I consider us very fortunate.   

John,

Us too, we prefer our fruits and veggies frozen.  Like you said though when power is lost for a week or longer, canned will last without power. 

Louisiana, 9a